Thursday, February 26, 2015

Worship is more than a song

God deserves so much more from us than that we just sing a song and go on with our day. Shoot....that's often just Sunday anyway. Where did the lifestyle of worship in the Christian community go? When it become about fitting in and doing, doing, doing, and never once thinking about the very God who has made us who we are and who has given the chance to do what we are doing?

This has been a sobering day for me. I spent 30 days blogging about control and trying to determine what it means to give control of my life to God. Then, when things start falling into place, life gets hard. My marriage has rough spots. Work isn't the greatest place to be. I feel out of touch with friends. I am emotionally weary. So, what do I do?? I cry to God and complain. Then I remember who I'm talking to and I thank him that he is in control and beg (supplication) him to give me the ability to handle everything that is coming my way. I also ask him to help me not shove through doors that are meant to be closed but to also not assume that a door is closed when in fact it is open.

Anyway, what was my point? Oh, worship. So, in all of this...even letting God be in control, it is so easy to get lost in the motions of communicating with God and "worshiping." Yet, what is worship?

Worship: "to show reverence [deep respect] and adoration [deep love] toward."

Nope. I don't think that's what I do most of the time. I think it is so much less than that. I get this idea that the things that I am doing (praying, singing, etc.) are the worship. However, what I'm seeing is that it is my attitude toward God that is the worship. It is in my respect and love toward God while doing those things. THAT is worship. How often is that what you do? What I do?

So, today; let's take some time to pray and read in our Bibles, but do it with an attitude of love and respect toward God. Because then we will be worshiping him in our attitudes while building our relationship in our actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment