Day 29 (02/23/15): OK. Second to last day. What shall we talk about???
Another reason why we can/should give control of our lives to God. I have already given the best reason which is his love for us. Romans 5 tells us that he demonstrated his love for us by dying before we were even alive...knowing that we would be rebellious and, for some of us, hate him. In spite of that, he died for us to show how much he loves us. THAT is crazy love!!!
Another reason. Let's look at Psalm 46.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam,though the mountains swell at its trembling...the Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." The next couple verses describe how God has both destroyed and brought the end of war in the nations of the earth. The very last first continues with, "The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress" again.
How comforting. I mean, even the parts that look a little rough (God bringing desolation, etc.) is an encouragement. Why? Because as we realize that we are not in ultimate control of our lives, we learn, through the Bible, that someone is. It isn't chaos. It is not fate. It is not random chance (no matter how long you give it...). No, it is the God of the universe, Jesus Christ, who is in control.
So, we have see that God protects us, that he is with us, and that because of how great he is, we don't have to be afraid. So, now what?
Well, I cheated and I skipped a verse! Verse 10 starts with this line, "Be still, and know that I am God."
Be still. "The Hebrew word for 'still' means to 'cease striving,' or, literally, 'to put our hands at our side'." - Our Daily Bread- 11/02/14.
What's cool about this is that we usually use this verse to tell ourselves to be calm under pressure. To maintain control and not lose it or to take a moment and breathe. Ironically, the verse is actually saying, "stop trying so hard to accomplish what God himself will do for and in you." How beautiful is that? I can keep at it, or I can let God be in charge of the end results. I don't have to fear, I know that God is protecting me. I know that God is with me.
So then...why do bad things still happen to me and the people I love the most? I'll talk about it tomorrow morning. :0)
Another reason why we can/should give control of our lives to God. I have already given the best reason which is his love for us. Romans 5 tells us that he demonstrated his love for us by dying before we were even alive...knowing that we would be rebellious and, for some of us, hate him. In spite of that, he died for us to show how much he loves us. THAT is crazy love!!!
Another reason. Let's look at Psalm 46.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam,though the mountains swell at its trembling...the Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." The next couple verses describe how God has both destroyed and brought the end of war in the nations of the earth. The very last first continues with, "The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress" again.
How comforting. I mean, even the parts that look a little rough (God bringing desolation, etc.) is an encouragement. Why? Because as we realize that we are not in ultimate control of our lives, we learn, through the Bible, that someone is. It isn't chaos. It is not fate. It is not random chance (no matter how long you give it...). No, it is the God of the universe, Jesus Christ, who is in control.
So, we have see that God protects us, that he is with us, and that because of how great he is, we don't have to be afraid. So, now what?
Well, I cheated and I skipped a verse! Verse 10 starts with this line, "Be still, and know that I am God."
Be still. "The Hebrew word for 'still' means to 'cease striving,' or, literally, 'to put our hands at our side'." - Our Daily Bread- 11/02/14.
What's cool about this is that we usually use this verse to tell ourselves to be calm under pressure. To maintain control and not lose it or to take a moment and breathe. Ironically, the verse is actually saying, "stop trying so hard to accomplish what God himself will do for and in you." How beautiful is that? I can keep at it, or I can let God be in charge of the end results. I don't have to fear, I know that God is protecting me. I know that God is with me.
So then...why do bad things still happen to me and the people I love the most? I'll talk about it tomorrow morning. :0)
No comments:
Post a Comment