Day 8 (02/02/15): Wow. What a day. My cold is worse (mostly my fault...went out in the snow three times yesterday...but wouldn't change it!), my babies fever (and subsequent clinginess) is back, and my wife has a headache and is fighting off the same cold.
So....who really cares about control issues when you are sick and your family is a sickly mess? Oh....that's right. Me.
What I realized, is that weak and tired times are the PERFECT time to keep strong and continue trying to pay attention to how I'm allowing God to control my life. A person can do a lot of things when they are healthy, but doing it when you don't feel good is a much better test!
Anyway, I couldn't get "whatever you do, in word or deed, do all to the glory of God." I asked our young adults if they were saying and doing things with God's glory in mind today. Then I turned it around. I asked myself what I was saying or doing with God's glory in mind. It made for a good work day. I tried to be conscientious about what I said. We have a lot of sickness (hospitalization sickness) and death in the close friends and family of several of my co-workers this month so there have been a lot of hard conversations. I have always (and still do) find it difficult to talk about my faith with most of my co-workers. The ones who aren't Catholic are just as silent and some are not friendly to religious conversation. To go with it, I could technically lose my job for talking about religious things if the wrong person got offended. Yet, I still told my boss I was praying for her and her family.
On the other hand, I found myself being silent and giving generic consolation in another instance. It is so hard for me to speak out about Jesus Christ sometimes. It's hard to be a "little Christ" (Christian) when I don't talk about Christ. Yet another area of my life that needs surrendered. However, this isn't so much control as people-pleasing which is another root cause for sin and grief.
Praise God that he IS in control (whether I admit it or not) and that tomorrow is another day!!
So....who really cares about control issues when you are sick and your family is a sickly mess? Oh....that's right. Me.
What I realized, is that weak and tired times are the PERFECT time to keep strong and continue trying to pay attention to how I'm allowing God to control my life. A person can do a lot of things when they are healthy, but doing it when you don't feel good is a much better test!
Anyway, I couldn't get "whatever you do, in word or deed, do all to the glory of God." I asked our young adults if they were saying and doing things with God's glory in mind today. Then I turned it around. I asked myself what I was saying or doing with God's glory in mind. It made for a good work day. I tried to be conscientious about what I said. We have a lot of sickness (hospitalization sickness) and death in the close friends and family of several of my co-workers this month so there have been a lot of hard conversations. I have always (and still do) find it difficult to talk about my faith with most of my co-workers. The ones who aren't Catholic are just as silent and some are not friendly to religious conversation. To go with it, I could technically lose my job for talking about religious things if the wrong person got offended. Yet, I still told my boss I was praying for her and her family.
On the other hand, I found myself being silent and giving generic consolation in another instance. It is so hard for me to speak out about Jesus Christ sometimes. It's hard to be a "little Christ" (Christian) when I don't talk about Christ. Yet another area of my life that needs surrendered. However, this isn't so much control as people-pleasing which is another root cause for sin and grief.
Praise God that he IS in control (whether I admit it or not) and that tomorrow is another day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment