There was a Patch the Pirate episode that involved two different kids. Each one sings a similar song but with a completely different theme. The first sings, "Any old thing will do for you, any old thing will do." The other sings, "Only my best will do for you, only my best will do."
How appropriate. Here I want to ignore what we say. Many of us know the words. That isn't the point. God doesn't need our words anyway. He's looking for our worship. So, is it any old thing or is it your best?
In worship?
In offerings?
In prayer?
In time devoted to God?
In our lives?
I could go on, but I hope something in that list hit you like most of that list hits me. I give God the bare minimum all the time. I say, "God, thank you for saving me. Thank you for loving me. Now, I'm going to give you whatever bits and pieces of my day are left over." Really? Look at the Old Testament. What did Israel have to bring for their sacrifices?? The best and the first fruits. It was always the best and always first. Why? Because "I am a great King, says the Lord of hosts..." Malachi 1:14.
I am hoping to look at that chapter in Malachi a little more in the next few days as I reflect on it more. However, I want to leave you with a quote from the message that inspired this post and is really hitting home for me today. Who is really supposed to be pleased by our worship?
In talking about a church service, "The goal is not that you get done and say, 'that was good.' The goal is that God looks down, sees what we have been doing and says, 'OK, that was good.'" - Giving God Our Best by Francis Chan.
How appropriate. Here I want to ignore what we say. Many of us know the words. That isn't the point. God doesn't need our words anyway. He's looking for our worship. So, is it any old thing or is it your best?
In worship?
In offerings?
In prayer?
In time devoted to God?
In our lives?
I could go on, but I hope something in that list hit you like most of that list hits me. I give God the bare minimum all the time. I say, "God, thank you for saving me. Thank you for loving me. Now, I'm going to give you whatever bits and pieces of my day are left over." Really? Look at the Old Testament. What did Israel have to bring for their sacrifices?? The best and the first fruits. It was always the best and always first. Why? Because "I am a great King, says the Lord of hosts..." Malachi 1:14.
I am hoping to look at that chapter in Malachi a little more in the next few days as I reflect on it more. However, I want to leave you with a quote from the message that inspired this post and is really hitting home for me today. Who is really supposed to be pleased by our worship?
In talking about a church service, "The goal is not that you get done and say, 'that was good.' The goal is that God looks down, sees what we have been doing and says, 'OK, that was good.'" - Giving God Our Best by Francis Chan.
No comments:
Post a Comment