Ha!! You thought I'd stop thinking about control after 30 consecutive posts about it? Not going to happen.
I will get back to Malachi, but I want to get this out there and then I won't be posting Sunday as I'll be out of town for a youth retreat.
So, I am NOT a handy man. In fact, I did almost no fixing of anything growing up. Dad did it or dad had someone else come do it. That's just how it worked. Except that then I got into my own home and had no idea what I was doing. (this is also true for cars, but that's another topic for another day.)
So, I've learned how to do some things. Youtube videos are my best friends in this area. I recently undid parts of the dishwasher and corresponding disposal to clean out a clog that we had gotten that was making our dishwasher not drain and not clean well. I was pretty proud of that.
Now our kitchen faucet is leaking (I won't touch that one alone) and our bathroom floor seems to be leaking in front of the toilet. So, after talking to a couple people I decided to youtube it and see if I thought I could change the wax ring on the toilet.
Two HUGE control things came up in this process. Ironically, neither had to do with the toilet itself. Nope. It was cabinet behind it and it was the floor.
First, the cabinet. Let's just say, this is something we bought in our first year of marriage, I screwed it into the wall when we moved in around 2005 and I don't know if I've moved it since. Maybe once...but it was a while ago. So, it's been here for a while and hasn't moved in a while...and apparently the screws are stripped. I only had 3 screws, but yet it was taking me 15 minutes or so to do them. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Then, it dawned on me and I started talking to Maya K (who was watching before bed) about control and let's God have control of our lives. Literally, as I started talking to her about it the screws came out. Just like that. Were they already ready to? Probably. But God stilled used it to teach me and my daughter about control and allowing God to be in control of our lives...which means being patient with things we can't control.
The floor is just another test of control. We have to leave the toilet out until the floor dries to even see what the extent of the damage will be. That part I did not anticipate...and neither did my poor wife. You can all pray for her patience and control issues as we trust God to give us the strength to adjust and adapt as needed. We know we have it good and plenty of people only have one bathroom in their houses, so we'll manage just fine. Change is always hard and it's always worse when you have control issues!
Praising God for object lessons for me and for my daughter today!! (I'll post again on Monday morning, the 2nd of March)
I will get back to Malachi, but I want to get this out there and then I won't be posting Sunday as I'll be out of town for a youth retreat.
So, I am NOT a handy man. In fact, I did almost no fixing of anything growing up. Dad did it or dad had someone else come do it. That's just how it worked. Except that then I got into my own home and had no idea what I was doing. (this is also true for cars, but that's another topic for another day.)
So, I've learned how to do some things. Youtube videos are my best friends in this area. I recently undid parts of the dishwasher and corresponding disposal to clean out a clog that we had gotten that was making our dishwasher not drain and not clean well. I was pretty proud of that.
Now our kitchen faucet is leaking (I won't touch that one alone) and our bathroom floor seems to be leaking in front of the toilet. So, after talking to a couple people I decided to youtube it and see if I thought I could change the wax ring on the toilet.
Two HUGE control things came up in this process. Ironically, neither had to do with the toilet itself. Nope. It was cabinet behind it and it was the floor.
First, the cabinet. Let's just say, this is something we bought in our first year of marriage, I screwed it into the wall when we moved in around 2005 and I don't know if I've moved it since. Maybe once...but it was a while ago. So, it's been here for a while and hasn't moved in a while...and apparently the screws are stripped. I only had 3 screws, but yet it was taking me 15 minutes or so to do them. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Then, it dawned on me and I started talking to Maya K (who was watching before bed) about control and let's God have control of our lives. Literally, as I started talking to her about it the screws came out. Just like that. Were they already ready to? Probably. But God stilled used it to teach me and my daughter about control and allowing God to be in control of our lives...which means being patient with things we can't control.
The floor is just another test of control. We have to leave the toilet out until the floor dries to even see what the extent of the damage will be. That part I did not anticipate...and neither did my poor wife. You can all pray for her patience and control issues as we trust God to give us the strength to adjust and adapt as needed. We know we have it good and plenty of people only have one bathroom in their houses, so we'll manage just fine. Change is always hard and it's always worse when you have control issues!
Praising God for object lessons for me and for my daughter today!! (I'll post again on Monday morning, the 2nd of March)
No comments:
Post a Comment