Day 20 (02/14/15): What I love about the Bible are all the promises that it gives. The authors don't flinch or hesitate. They don't give caveats and clarifications. They just make truth claims. Not only can't our society seem to do that, I even find myself struggling to do it to others and to accept it from the Bible.
James 1:2-4 is a great little passage. It's just like yesterday where we saw a promise of the end results of trials. Here, however, the promise is steadfastness and being perfect! :o) Not quite. Let's look.
First, steadfastness is the ability to stand firm through something. That means that while trials will come, you will develop the character and faith in God to not crumble through those hardships. Look at some people of Godly character that you know. Do they fall apart when bad things happen? No they don't. Is it hard? Absolutely. This doesn't make it easy. Otherwise it should be easyship instead of hardship. The trial is still hard, but they have the ability to endure.
The Greek word that is translated "perfect" in this verse has the idea of being mature or being brought to an end. So, we are brought to a completed state in regards to trials. I believe that means we come to a place of completely trusting God through them and having the maturity to trust him DURING the trials as well as after!
James 1:5-8 goes along with this really well too. Here we have another promise...ironically there is a caveat of sorts, but not the way you might think. So, the promise is that if we lack wisdom we just have to ask God and he will pour it on us. Trust me, this is true because God has blessed us through this truth so many times I couldn't even count them all. However, the caveat is that you have to believe that he will do it and have no doubt about it. Doubt gnaws at you. To be honest, doubt will make you want to be in control again and you will often stop waiting for God to provide the wisdom.
This section also comes to mind when I'm thinking about control because when I want to be in control I never ask God for help. That's not me being in control. So, if I can't ask God for help because I'm in control, then I can't claim this promise. So remember, just let go of your own control and ask God for wisdom. He promises to provide it!*
*This can be you genuinely having a thought or way of thinking through something that you hadn't though through before. An epiphany as it where. However, it's also important to remember that God will often just bring wisdom from the people and circumstances around you too. So, pay attention. Once you've surrendered control and asked God for wisdom, he WILL provide it, but you have to be looking for it too. This isn't a passive process. No growing and learning experience is!
James 1:2-4 is a great little passage. It's just like yesterday where we saw a promise of the end results of trials. Here, however, the promise is steadfastness and being perfect! :o) Not quite. Let's look.
First, steadfastness is the ability to stand firm through something. That means that while trials will come, you will develop the character and faith in God to not crumble through those hardships. Look at some people of Godly character that you know. Do they fall apart when bad things happen? No they don't. Is it hard? Absolutely. This doesn't make it easy. Otherwise it should be easyship instead of hardship. The trial is still hard, but they have the ability to endure.
The Greek word that is translated "perfect" in this verse has the idea of being mature or being brought to an end. So, we are brought to a completed state in regards to trials. I believe that means we come to a place of completely trusting God through them and having the maturity to trust him DURING the trials as well as after!
James 1:5-8 goes along with this really well too. Here we have another promise...ironically there is a caveat of sorts, but not the way you might think. So, the promise is that if we lack wisdom we just have to ask God and he will pour it on us. Trust me, this is true because God has blessed us through this truth so many times I couldn't even count them all. However, the caveat is that you have to believe that he will do it and have no doubt about it. Doubt gnaws at you. To be honest, doubt will make you want to be in control again and you will often stop waiting for God to provide the wisdom.
This section also comes to mind when I'm thinking about control because when I want to be in control I never ask God for help. That's not me being in control. So, if I can't ask God for help because I'm in control, then I can't claim this promise. So remember, just let go of your own control and ask God for wisdom. He promises to provide it!*
*This can be you genuinely having a thought or way of thinking through something that you hadn't though through before. An epiphany as it where. However, it's also important to remember that God will often just bring wisdom from the people and circumstances around you too. So, pay attention. Once you've surrendered control and asked God for wisdom, he WILL provide it, but you have to be looking for it too. This isn't a passive process. No growing and learning experience is!
No comments:
Post a Comment