Day 12 (02/06/15): Learned a little lesson in control this morning. I'm kind of excited. :o)
(I thought about ending the post there and just letting you wonder but I didn't think that'd be very nice!)
OK. Valentine's Day is coming up. For those who don't know (which is probably most of you), when Pam and I first got married I couldn't surprise her for anything. I would try...but she always knew. Then, I got better at it. In truth, there isn't much to be said for learning how to better deceive your spouse except that this was in the right spirit.
So, 10+ years later I am better at it. I have plans. I was running through them again this morning to think through everything I still need to do and it suddenly dawned on me. I have no control over this. Sickness, the baby not sleeping well, the girls having a rough day, a blizzard, etc. I can't control ANY of this.
I took two key thoughts from this realization:
1. I realized that since God is in control I should just ask him about. The Bible says you have not because you ask not. I realize that this isn't important for our spiritual growth, but hopefully it can be something that gives God glory based on our attitudes and praise to him. So, I prayed through my plans and asked God to be in control of them.
2. Then I realized that giving God control is a lot about making plans and then being at peace whether they work out or not. Oh, and then looking to see how God might be trying to teach me either way. Giving God control doesn't mean we don't plan. It means we don't hold those plans in an iron grip and we allow God to work them out.
I hope that can be an encouragement to you. Happy Friday everyone!!
(I thought about ending the post there and just letting you wonder but I didn't think that'd be very nice!)
OK. Valentine's Day is coming up. For those who don't know (which is probably most of you), when Pam and I first got married I couldn't surprise her for anything. I would try...but she always knew. Then, I got better at it. In truth, there isn't much to be said for learning how to better deceive your spouse except that this was in the right spirit.
So, 10+ years later I am better at it. I have plans. I was running through them again this morning to think through everything I still need to do and it suddenly dawned on me. I have no control over this. Sickness, the baby not sleeping well, the girls having a rough day, a blizzard, etc. I can't control ANY of this.
I took two key thoughts from this realization:
1. I realized that since God is in control I should just ask him about. The Bible says you have not because you ask not. I realize that this isn't important for our spiritual growth, but hopefully it can be something that gives God glory based on our attitudes and praise to him. So, I prayed through my plans and asked God to be in control of them.
2. Then I realized that giving God control is a lot about making plans and then being at peace whether they work out or not. Oh, and then looking to see how God might be trying to teach me either way. Giving God control doesn't mean we don't plan. It means we don't hold those plans in an iron grip and we allow God to work them out.
I hope that can be an encouragement to you. Happy Friday everyone!!
No comments:
Post a Comment