Day 28 (02/22/15): Look at us. It is now four weeks exactly of talking about control issues. I actually just sat down to type and thought, "what am I going to talk about? I feel fresh out of material for today." Then, however, my wife tried to have a conversation with me and twice I jumped in to finish her sentences and thought she was done. (Yes, I'm lucky she married me and she should beat me sometimes.)
Of course that is a control issue that stems from the tongue. All of you who know me well know that I have a terrible time controlling my tongue and I have a terrible time assuming what people are going to say. I'm actually wrong 70-80% of the time yet I keep trying. It is SO rude and a huge turn off to conversation in general. So, why do I do it??
Because it is another little piece of the universe that I can control. Conversation. The flow of it, the tone of it, when and where....it's all just wonderful control on my part!!!! (Insert evil laughter here)
OK. It really isn't. I know that and you know it too. Yet, it doesn't change a lifetime of habit. So, after 28 days of talking about control, what do I do about it? I give it up to God. My tongue that is. Whatever you say or do, do it to God's glory and while giving thanks to God. That's hard to do when I'm hurting (or at least not helping) relationships. When I'm selfishly thinking of myself and not the other person. Praise God for his unending patience.
So, those of you who know me and see me at least weekly: thank you for your patience too. I'm trying. God isn't through with me yet!!!
Of course that is a control issue that stems from the tongue. All of you who know me well know that I have a terrible time controlling my tongue and I have a terrible time assuming what people are going to say. I'm actually wrong 70-80% of the time yet I keep trying. It is SO rude and a huge turn off to conversation in general. So, why do I do it??
Because it is another little piece of the universe that I can control. Conversation. The flow of it, the tone of it, when and where....it's all just wonderful control on my part!!!! (Insert evil laughter here)
OK. It really isn't. I know that and you know it too. Yet, it doesn't change a lifetime of habit. So, after 28 days of talking about control, what do I do about it? I give it up to God. My tongue that is. Whatever you say or do, do it to God's glory and while giving thanks to God. That's hard to do when I'm hurting (or at least not helping) relationships. When I'm selfishly thinking of myself and not the other person. Praise God for his unending patience.
So, those of you who know me and see me at least weekly: thank you for your patience too. I'm trying. God isn't through with me yet!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment