Thursday, July 7, 2016

Questioning God!

The concept of questioning God has always interested me. I mean, as children, we ask our parents questions, right? In fact, when you think about it, they HAVE to ask us questions to help them learn. The most common question is, "Why?" Why do I have to go to bed now? Why can't I have ice cream right before bed? Why do I brush every night? Why? Why? Why?

Some questions are annoying (which doesn't outright make them wrong) but most of the time they are innocent and honest. Then, however, they can change and get ugly. Like, "Go to your room!" gets a snotty "Why??" and, "No you can't do XYZ" gets the same response.

As parents, we know that there is a huge distinction between an honest question and a question born out of a need for control or a dislike for a decision that was made. One is honest and inquisitive, the other is disrespectful and wrong.

So, we know we can do the same thing to God. We can go with "why?" questions that are legitimate. Born of pain, wonder, or just wanting to know answers to questions. OR we can ask the same question born of anger and resentment for the control that we want but don't have.

I was listening to a song today that is all about questioning God. I think it can be taken in a good sense or in a negative one and I don't think that every statement/question is really completely appropriate. However, I think it's good to remember that our Heavenly Father is happy for us to ask questions when we are being respectful and I truly believe He will honor those requests...even if we don't get an answer (or at least one that we recognize).

Todd Agnew - If You Wanted Me

I'll admit I'm glad we're not disciples, out on a lake, paralyzed with fright. Cause I'm afraid I might have laughed at Peter - until he stepped into that stormy night. If you wanted me to walk on water, why'd you make the solid ground seem so right?

And I'll admit I'm glad I'm not King David, ruling over everything I see. Cause I think I've fallen for more than Bathsheba. Your creation's a temptation for me. If you wanted me to love You only, why'd you make the moonlight sparkle in her eyes?

I'll admit I'm glad I'm not John the Baptist. In a jail cell waiting for my day to die. Cause at least down here I know what we're chasing, and it's hard to trust Your dreams are so much better than mine. But if you wanted me to die to myself, why'd you make me fall so deeply in love with life?

If you wanted me to surrender, why'd you make these hands able to hold on so tight?

...and if you wanted me to be like You, why'd you make so much like me?


It would be easy to ask many of these questions with a wrong attitude and motive. However, I know how important it is for a relationship to communicate. Besides, do you think God doesn't know you doubts, fears, and frustrations? So, go to Him. But go to Him as your Father who loves you, and not a god who wants to ruin your life! Then see Him work in your life and in your attitude!!!

To God be the glory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment