You know. I have tried to make prayer lists before. Do you know what my greatest deterrent has always been? Time.
Not that I start spending a lot of time and then don't like it...but that I've gotten scared that I would spent a lot of time praying. That it would be too much time and the thought was daunting.
....
....
Ok, now don't judge me. How many of us have actually done that without maybe thinking it that specific way? For example, have you simply not taken the time to pray because you have other things going on? Then you think about praying, realize what you wouldn't be able to do or consider how long it would take and you never even start?
If you've been reading my blog this week then you are fully aware that I have been being challenged in this area of prayer and what my prayer life looks like...or doesn't.
Prayer is communication. Right? Communication is also a key to great relationships. It's not the ONLY key, but it's an important one. Look at many divorce cases and you will see other issues too, but you will also see a breakdown in communication. (I mean non-self-centered, healthy, communication.)
So, a God who loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die for us...and we can't take the time pray? To communicate consistently??? What is the world are we doing? Is there even a relationship there if I'm not making the time to communicate with my Father?
I mean, sure. I pray when I'm driving to work or driving home if something is on my heart. Sometimes I'll pray on a break at work if something is really bothering me. I pray before meals...when I'm with my family. If it's just me, then I usually pray before meals. I pray with my oldest as we get her ready for bed....but if I miss her bedtime, I often don't. These times of prayer are important, by the way. I'm not knocking any of them. I think there is real value in praying as you do your day!!! I just know that some deep, meaningful, uninterrupted prayer time is also very needed in a Christians life.
What would it cost me? To begin with...maybe 7-10 minutes. Really? Please tell me that I'm not making excuses to avoid 10 minutes of communication....with someone who loves me...and who I also love!!!
So, what's the hold up? Is it selfishness (wanting to spend my time the way I want to spend it)? Is it pride (I've got this. I don't need help)? Is it fear or doubt (is He really listening? Maybe what I want to pray about doesn't matter)? Is it habit? Have we just developed the habit of NOT praying this way and therefore we don't.
If you are interested in building a habit of purposeful, meaningful communication with your heavenly Father and you would like some encouragement and motivation, then please click below.
If, however, you either already have a consistent and meaningful prayer life, or if you know you don't, but you know you don't have the time (or for whatever other reason) then this post is done and please don't click the link below. That message isn't for everyone! Thank you.
Link
To God be the glory!
Not that I start spending a lot of time and then don't like it...but that I've gotten scared that I would spent a lot of time praying. That it would be too much time and the thought was daunting.
....
....
Ok, now don't judge me. How many of us have actually done that without maybe thinking it that specific way? For example, have you simply not taken the time to pray because you have other things going on? Then you think about praying, realize what you wouldn't be able to do or consider how long it would take and you never even start?
If you've been reading my blog this week then you are fully aware that I have been being challenged in this area of prayer and what my prayer life looks like...or doesn't.
Prayer is communication. Right? Communication is also a key to great relationships. It's not the ONLY key, but it's an important one. Look at many divorce cases and you will see other issues too, but you will also see a breakdown in communication. (I mean non-self-centered, healthy, communication.)
So, a God who loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die for us...and we can't take the time pray? To communicate consistently??? What is the world are we doing? Is there even a relationship there if I'm not making the time to communicate with my Father?
I mean, sure. I pray when I'm driving to work or driving home if something is on my heart. Sometimes I'll pray on a break at work if something is really bothering me. I pray before meals...when I'm with my family. If it's just me, then I usually pray before meals. I pray with my oldest as we get her ready for bed....but if I miss her bedtime, I often don't. These times of prayer are important, by the way. I'm not knocking any of them. I think there is real value in praying as you do your day!!! I just know that some deep, meaningful, uninterrupted prayer time is also very needed in a Christians life.
What would it cost me? To begin with...maybe 7-10 minutes. Really? Please tell me that I'm not making excuses to avoid 10 minutes of communication....with someone who loves me...and who I also love!!!
So, what's the hold up? Is it selfishness (wanting to spend my time the way I want to spend it)? Is it pride (I've got this. I don't need help)? Is it fear or doubt (is He really listening? Maybe what I want to pray about doesn't matter)? Is it habit? Have we just developed the habit of NOT praying this way and therefore we don't.
If you are interested in building a habit of purposeful, meaningful communication with your heavenly Father and you would like some encouragement and motivation, then please click below.
If, however, you either already have a consistent and meaningful prayer life, or if you know you don't, but you know you don't have the time (or for whatever other reason) then this post is done and please don't click the link below. That message isn't for everyone! Thank you.
Link
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment