Friday, July 15, 2016

Prayer - prayers for others - what to pray

I have at many times wondered, how do I pray for other people. Sure, there are things going on in their lives that I know about, but sometimes that either runs out or feels redundant. Sometimes it is people I know as acquaintances or as students (not peers) and I don't know specific things to pray about. So, then what? What are ways we can pray for fellow believers even without knowing what is going on in their lives?

I figure, the Bible was given to us for a purpose and having specific prayers was also intentional. So, let's look at one.

The book of Colossians opens up with a greeting from Paul and he mentions that he has been praying for them since he heard of their faith and their love for other believers.

Then, in verses 9 & 10, he mentions several things he prays for them.

The first is, "asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God."

Wow. There is SO much here. Spiritual wisdom for the purpose of walking worthy of our Lord. With the specific purpose of pleasing Him. That we will bear fruit and continue to increase in our understanding of who God is.

That is something we should be praying for ourselves, but surely we can pray this for anyone who we know who is a believer. Roommates, spouses, children, fellow church members, co-workers, etc. If you know someone who is a Christian, then these are things we should desire for them and can pray on their behalf.


To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment