Friday, July 29, 2016

Prayer - Cry out to God!!

Psalm 61:1-4 says:

Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!

Something I keep coming back to in my thoughts is that it is so much easier for us to pray in the midst of struggle. It's the easy, coasting times that are hardest to pray. This is, as I have mentioned before, mostly because we don't need to depend on God when things are going well. It's easy to forget that God is providing for our daily needs when we are the ones going to work, paying the bills, buying the food, etc.

But, when we are in distress. Then, it is easier to cry out to God and lean on Him for strength. To beg Him for wisdom.

...but that isn't right. It's natural, but it isn't right. We should be running to God when life is going well AS WELL AS when things are tough.

I love this chapter in Psalms. This 61st Psalm. It is a cry to God that recognizes our weakness. That we call when we are weak and weary. That God is our refuge and strength from enemies. I love this chapter because I don't have to feel alone in my natural tendency to go to God quickest when life is in turmoil. The Psalmist is admitting that he goes to God when he is in trouble. And we should too! The reason I am constantly trying to encourage us to go to God all the rest of the time is that a) it will be that much easier to go to God in distress if we have a habit of doing so when we aren't in distress and b) if we truly love the God who loves us then we owe it to that relationship to go to God at all times. I don't, however, want to miss out on the blessed reality that we can and should go to God for protection, comfort, and strength in times of trouble.

To GOD be the glory!!


No comments:

Post a Comment