Sunday, August 7, 2016

prayer - when did we stop praying for each other?

I'd like to have a conversation with all of you who read this (details at the end).

So, first, we talked yesterday about the way in which we communicate that we are or have prayed for someone. the different between the future, past, or present language that we can use.

That conversation got me thinking and I realized...we don't talk about prayer with each other anymore. At least, I'm not hearing. I don't hear people say, "I'll pray for you," or "I have been praying for you," OR "May I pray with you now." I just don't hear those things being said anymore.

I am wondering two things. First, am I right and second, if I am, what happened. Since I can't explore the first question without some help, I've put a request at the bottom. However, I have some speculation on the second question for myself and I'm hoping maybe this helps.

I know why I don't say these things. To begin, what I talked about yesterday, I hadn't really thought about before....yesterday! :o) Which means that I have often only been viewing statements of prayer towards others in the future language. That is, "I will pray for you." Yet, I also knew how hollow that can and has often felt. I knew how hollow of a statement it has been. I have had every good intention of doing it, but life gets in the way and I have often forgotten. So, knowing how hollow it can be or can feel, I have often felt hypocritical saying it so I stopped.

Stopping wasn't the right answer, though I would argue that it was better than continuing to be hypocritical. Now, I could have dedicated myself to writing down every time I told someone I would pray for them and then make sure I did. However, having now thought of past and present language for encouraging others with prayer, I am consciously aware and hope to apply this language more.

(Side note: I still recommend saying you WILL pray for someone when it is the best you can do. We can't always stop and pray with someone and we haven't always been praying for them. However, you can ensure that it won't be a wasted sentence by ensuring that you will pray for them the soonest that you can.)

I know most of you don't comment (either here or on Facebook), but I'd really like to get some feedback on this. When you comment, give me your age decade (40's, 20's, etc.) if you are willing and tell me if you hear this often and, if you do, who it's coming from. Is it coming from your peers, younger Christians, or older Christians.

I hope this can start a really healthy conversation in our churches and with fellow Christians.



To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment