I know that I already posted about praying for our country so that is NOT what this is about. I promise.
No, it has been on my heart to do something for the next 3 months. This is going to be a brutal, personal, emotional, divisive election season. At least on the presidential level and possibly in other areas depending on where you live.
However, what I don't want is for us to get self-righteous attitudes and start praying for God to fix this person or that person so that they will agree with us politically...or even morally and ethically. That's cheap and petty to me.
Also, I have often noticed that many Christians I rub shoulders with have a huge tendency to remember that we should pray for our president when the current president is someone they disagree with. But they aren't as outspoken when the president seems to agree with them...
So, the last time I checked both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have a soul. ...and I do NOT want any jokes about this because I'm feeling serious so it isn't funny! They do and that's enough.
So, let's consider the reality of the position that these people are running to attain. It is the head of a great nation. A powerful nation. A nation with influence and responsibility. They will be the head of a nation that makes decisions that has ripple effects around the world. So, we should be praying for them no matter what their political affiliation or moral standing is. Whether we agree with them or not should be irrelevant to our prayer life. They will have a great weight of responsibility on their shoulders.
My challenge is that for the next three months we spend time (every week, every day, etc.) praying for each of the candidates. That God will work in their lives and hearts and that God will use them to better His plans. (I didn't say America's plans because I don't assume to know the mind or plans of God.)
To God be the glory.
No, it has been on my heart to do something for the next 3 months. This is going to be a brutal, personal, emotional, divisive election season. At least on the presidential level and possibly in other areas depending on where you live.
However, what I don't want is for us to get self-righteous attitudes and start praying for God to fix this person or that person so that they will agree with us politically...or even morally and ethically. That's cheap and petty to me.
Also, I have often noticed that many Christians I rub shoulders with have a huge tendency to remember that we should pray for our president when the current president is someone they disagree with. But they aren't as outspoken when the president seems to agree with them...
So, the last time I checked both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have a soul. ...and I do NOT want any jokes about this because I'm feeling serious so it isn't funny! They do and that's enough.
So, let's consider the reality of the position that these people are running to attain. It is the head of a great nation. A powerful nation. A nation with influence and responsibility. They will be the head of a nation that makes decisions that has ripple effects around the world. So, we should be praying for them no matter what their political affiliation or moral standing is. Whether we agree with them or not should be irrelevant to our prayer life. They will have a great weight of responsibility on their shoulders.
My challenge is that for the next three months we spend time (every week, every day, etc.) praying for each of the candidates. That God will work in their lives and hearts and that God will use them to better His plans. (I didn't say America's plans because I don't assume to know the mind or plans of God.)
To God be the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment