Sunday, August 14, 2016

Prayer - practical application

I'm taking this from someone who was quoting something they had seen, but this was really good to me and I wanted to share. Too often I see the Lord's prayer used literally (Catholic) or disregarded (Baptist/Evangelical) instead of being used as it is given (a model of prayer).

Re: Jesus' Model Prayer recorded in Matt 6:9-13:

 - Praise: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
 - Priorities: Your kingdom come, Your will be done.
 - Provision: Give us this day our daily bread.
 - Personal Relationships: Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
 - Protection: Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from (the) evil (one).
 - Praise: For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.

"Prayer and praise are the oars by which a man may row his boat into the deep waters of the knowledge of Christ." -- Charles H Spurgeon.


I especially love the pointed reminder that this model really both starts and ends with praise. How often are we forgetting to praise God in our prayer time? Much less both starting and ending with it!!

What a great challenge on this Sunday. Start your prayer time (and your day) praising God and end your prayer time (and day) praising God!!


To God be the glory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment