Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Prayer - accountability

You know, I should have thought of this. But the truth is that I didn't. But, thanks be to God for friends and family who are thinking ahead.

So, yesterday we talked about habits and the value of working to build good habits rather than working to remove bad habits. Again, I should have thought of this and I didn't.

When we are working to form good habits, we often will use accountability. I want to spend less time on the computer, get to the gym more, eat less, eat more, spend less, spend....anyway, you get the point. We often turn to accountability for these things. We have a friend who joins the gym with us, or a friend we can text when we are wanting to eat or spend money who can remind us not to. There are many ways to do it, but many of us have (successfully or unsuccessfully) had an accountability partner while trying to build a habit.

So, why not with prayer. If they live in your home or you communicate daily, then you can plan to pray alone...together! If not then you can e-mail each other reminders. Send a text or Face-message during the day.

Prayer is private and while praying together is great, what I'm trying to emphasize this month is praying that is done in secret. So, this isn't about finding someone to necessarily pray with you, but it is NOT a secret that we all have a human nature and good habits can be hard to form. Especially when they are replacing bad habits that are thoroughly formed. in those cases, someone to just remind you to pray, or even to just let you know when they've had their time and vice verse, can be a huge help in the process of setting that habit in stone.

So, find a friend and ask them if you can keep each other accountable about praying meaningfully each day!!


To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment