Saturday, August 6, 2016

Prayer - as an encouragement

There are several prayer statement we make to people. The most common is "I will pray for you." The reality, though, is that this is not very encouraging or comforting...most of the time. You may have someone who has not heard that in a long time (or ever) and it may be very encouraging. You may be someone who always follows up on this and DOES pray for them and the person you are telling knows that...and that would be encouraging for them.

I want to contend that there are two better statements we could make to people that have a much higher chance of being encouraging.

1. I have prayed for you. Maybe it was just now or yesterday, but it guarantees the act. Instead of putting it into the future, it allows the hearer to confirm that it happened. Maybe they knew you were going to or maybe they didn't, but what an encouragement it is to hear that someone has prayed for you.

2. May I pray with you. This will usually require a deeper relationship than just anyone you know, but this usually means so much. Again, the context of your relationship and what is going on will drive this some, but I have usually found it encouraging (and been told the same from the other end) when a person is willing to stop what they are doing and pray with me in that moment. Not only is there no way I can wonder if they'll actually do it, but doing the act together also drives the "I am alone" feeling that often come with the struggles and trials of life.

So, I want to encourage you to check your language. Are you leaving the encouragement to an unknown time in the future or have you done it and/or are you willing to do it right now?


To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment