I have "#1" in the title not because I plan to make it a series (I don't) but to help distinguish that there are many differences (just like there are many similarities) between God and earthly parents. This is just the one that hit home to me last night.
Around 11 PM last night, Layla started fussing/crying. She never screamed, but she was clearly unhappy. It was enough to keep Pam and I awake and to want to make sure nothing was wrong. Something WAS wrong....but we still don't know what it was. It wasn't a diaper, or hurting, etc. However, by 1 AM, she hadn't stopped crying a whole lot. In fact, Pam had been able to get her to sleep in her arms a couple times, but she could never put her down.
So, at 1 AM, I gave it a shot. I held her until my arms were tingling numb (less than a half hour so I'm going to claim that she's getting heavy...not that I'm getting old or weak). When I put her down she almost woke up, but didn't. She fussed again about 10-15 minutes later, but that was it. She slept until about 5:50-5:55 but then she was definitely done again.
So, what is the comparison that came to mind in the night that is DIFFERENT between us, as earthly parents, and God?
God always knows what we need and we simply DON'T always know what our children need. Of the two of us, Pam knows a whole lot more often than I do, but she is with the kids all day when I'm at work. So that makes sense. She spends more time with them and understands them better. Ironically, our heavenly Father spends all of our time with us (He is everywhere) and he knows everything anyway so it works perfectly.
I am SO glad that God knows us better than our earthly parents do. I am grateful that He cares enough about each of us to know us and care about our needs...even more than we often know our own needs.
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment