This is not an easy topic for me so bear with me.
I LOVE America. (I know that "love" is hard to define so this could be equivalent to Doritos, board games, or my wife and children....I wish English was clearer...) I am a very patriotic person. Admittedly, I have found myself jaded to a US-centric mentality in recent years and that has made it harder for me to be "proud to be an American." I have become tired of our one-sided cultural mentality. (I'm not saying this is ONLY American, but it definitely IS American.) Yet, in the midst of those doubts and frustrations I have always remained an American. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would not want to change my citizenship. I would not want to leave this country. If the draft was put back online, I would proudly serve my country.
I LOVE Jesus Christ. I am a Christian. I hate my own sin when it happens, but I love God and I love the people of God. They are my fellow citizens and I cherish them as MY people. (Phil 3:20 and Eph 2:19 talk about our citizenship.) Sometimes it feels like protestants can be Protestant-centric too. :o) That can feel frustrating, but sometimes I think it's just our American-ness showing itself in our faith! So, I have frustrations here too. Not as many, but there are there. Yet, in the midst of any doubts and frustrations I have always remained a Christian (for almost 7 years now). I wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't change "religions" or "faiths." If God called me up to service Him full-time, I would be honored to do that. If God called me home, I would go without argument.
...but where do my ultimate loyalties lie? I am both an American and a Christian. So, which comes first? What do I do if one citizenship contradicts the other one? How can I serve America and God if America and God aren't on the same page? More specifically, how can I serve America and God if America passes a law that contradicts what God tells me is true? Now what do I do?
Well, I determine who I am most loyal to. Am I most loyal to an earthly government and country or to my heavenly Father? Am I most loyal to the citizenship that is temporary or the one that will never end? I am most loyal to my Heavenly Father in whom I have a never ending citizenship.
This does NOT mean that I ignore my American citizenship. On the contrary, I believe that as American-Christians (with dual citizenship) we have a responsibility to be involved in our nation. To help drive laws that do NOT contradict our other citizenship. We have a responsibility to engage the processes that are currently seeking to undermine our heavenly citizenship.
However, if that process should fail us and we are no longer able to freely exercise our religious beliefs without consequences; we have a greater responsibility to the God who has saved us from our sins, than to the nation that keeps our bodies safe from harm (or so is the goal). I pray that I am future generations don't have to make that choice...but there is never a guarantee.
How about you. What citizenship do you hold most dearly?
I LOVE America. (I know that "love" is hard to define so this could be equivalent to Doritos, board games, or my wife and children....I wish English was clearer...) I am a very patriotic person. Admittedly, I have found myself jaded to a US-centric mentality in recent years and that has made it harder for me to be "proud to be an American." I have become tired of our one-sided cultural mentality. (I'm not saying this is ONLY American, but it definitely IS American.) Yet, in the midst of those doubts and frustrations I have always remained an American. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would not want to change my citizenship. I would not want to leave this country. If the draft was put back online, I would proudly serve my country.
I LOVE Jesus Christ. I am a Christian. I hate my own sin when it happens, but I love God and I love the people of God. They are my fellow citizens and I cherish them as MY people. (Phil 3:20 and Eph 2:19 talk about our citizenship.) Sometimes it feels like protestants can be Protestant-centric too. :o) That can feel frustrating, but sometimes I think it's just our American-ness showing itself in our faith! So, I have frustrations here too. Not as many, but there are there. Yet, in the midst of any doubts and frustrations I have always remained a Christian (for almost 7 years now). I wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't change "religions" or "faiths." If God called me up to service Him full-time, I would be honored to do that. If God called me home, I would go without argument.
...but where do my ultimate loyalties lie? I am both an American and a Christian. So, which comes first? What do I do if one citizenship contradicts the other one? How can I serve America and God if America and God aren't on the same page? More specifically, how can I serve America and God if America passes a law that contradicts what God tells me is true? Now what do I do?
Well, I determine who I am most loyal to. Am I most loyal to an earthly government and country or to my heavenly Father? Am I most loyal to the citizenship that is temporary or the one that will never end? I am most loyal to my Heavenly Father in whom I have a never ending citizenship.
This does NOT mean that I ignore my American citizenship. On the contrary, I believe that as American-Christians (with dual citizenship) we have a responsibility to be involved in our nation. To help drive laws that do NOT contradict our other citizenship. We have a responsibility to engage the processes that are currently seeking to undermine our heavenly citizenship.
However, if that process should fail us and we are no longer able to freely exercise our religious beliefs without consequences; we have a greater responsibility to the God who has saved us from our sins, than to the nation that keeps our bodies safe from harm (or so is the goal). I pray that I am future generations don't have to make that choice...but there is never a guarantee.
How about you. What citizenship do you hold most dearly?
Thanks for sharing that Nate. I can totally relate as I went through the same thing a few years ago. I found that the question of allegiance goes pretty deep. It isn't just about country. It is about all institutions: country, denomination, local church, cultural identity, etc.
ReplyDeleteThe conclusion I came to is that my allegiance is not to any institution or even to a set of principles/doctrines/ideals. My allegiance is to the person of Jesus Christ. He is surer than any institution and greater than any other good.
From that firm foundation I am free to participate, with joy and affection, in many institutions: marriage, my local church, America.
- Cousin Jon
Thanks Jon. That's a great point and good way of putting it. I appreciate your feedback!
Delete