...A good friend of mine posted a cover of Overwhelmed by Big Daddy Weave yesterday (Thanks Art). I found myself tearing up. Here are some of the lyrics:
"All that you are is so overwhelming"
"God I run into your arms, unashamed because of mercy. I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by you."
"All that you've done is so overwhelming"
"I delight myself in you. In the glory of your presence."
"God, there is no one more beautiful...God you are the most beautiful."
More context: I had previously had a very small Sunday School class and we talked instead of doing much of a lesson. Part of what came up was one of our young adults talking about the Missions Conference he had attended that week and the challenge that he had about sharing Christ with the people he knows and works with.
More context: My wife missed four hours of sleep last night and Maya K and I were both woken up multiple times to the baby shrieking/screaming during that period....we were upstairs with fans/sound machines and she was downstairs. You can imagine the headache that Pam had when that was finally over.
More context: I've been wrestling so much lately with what God wants for me to do for him with my life. I want to give him my life and I am completely aware that this doesn't in anyway mean full-time ministry...but it also doesn't. It just means I want to do with my life whatever God wants me to do with my life. It is the most reasonable act of worship I can perform based on his love for me (Romans 12:1-2).
So, what is on my mind? My daughter actually does this to me. She will say or do something and I will explain to her what her actions are saying. Like, "Maya K, when I have told you this, and you do that, you are saying with your actions that you don't care what I've said." She then argues that she does care and I agree with her and remind her that her actions aren't lining up with what she knows/thinks.
So, here I am. Before God saying, "Lord, I love you, I am overwhelmed by you, and I am not ashamed of you." At which point I confess that God would need to say, "Then why don't you actions line up with what you are telling me? You say you are unashamed, but you act ashamed. You say you are overwhelmed, but you act pretty underwhelmed sometimes."
He's right. It's true. If I am overwhelmed and unashamed, but don't my actions line up with that? I'm not a Sunday-unashamed and Monday-through-Saturday-ashamed kind of guy am I??
"God, help my love for you to pour out of me in the way that I speak (and don't speak) and the way that I love other people. I want my actions to show that I am not ashamed of you or what you've done for or in me. I'm not ashamed of the things that I don't understand and the questions I can't answer. Because my faith is in you and not my own understanding. Thank you that it is NOT a blind faith, but don't let my unanswered questions be a wall between me and the people around me!"
To God be the glory....great things he has done and is doing!
"All that you are is so overwhelming"
"God I run into your arms, unashamed because of mercy. I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by you."
"All that you've done is so overwhelming"
"I delight myself in you. In the glory of your presence."
"God, there is no one more beautiful...God you are the most beautiful."
More context: I had previously had a very small Sunday School class and we talked instead of doing much of a lesson. Part of what came up was one of our young adults talking about the Missions Conference he had attended that week and the challenge that he had about sharing Christ with the people he knows and works with.
More context: My wife missed four hours of sleep last night and Maya K and I were both woken up multiple times to the baby shrieking/screaming during that period....we were upstairs with fans/sound machines and she was downstairs. You can imagine the headache that Pam had when that was finally over.
More context: I've been wrestling so much lately with what God wants for me to do for him with my life. I want to give him my life and I am completely aware that this doesn't in anyway mean full-time ministry...but it also doesn't. It just means I want to do with my life whatever God wants me to do with my life. It is the most reasonable act of worship I can perform based on his love for me (Romans 12:1-2).
So, what is on my mind? My daughter actually does this to me. She will say or do something and I will explain to her what her actions are saying. Like, "Maya K, when I have told you this, and you do that, you are saying with your actions that you don't care what I've said." She then argues that she does care and I agree with her and remind her that her actions aren't lining up with what she knows/thinks.
So, here I am. Before God saying, "Lord, I love you, I am overwhelmed by you, and I am not ashamed of you." At which point I confess that God would need to say, "Then why don't you actions line up with what you are telling me? You say you are unashamed, but you act ashamed. You say you are overwhelmed, but you act pretty underwhelmed sometimes."
He's right. It's true. If I am overwhelmed and unashamed, but don't my actions line up with that? I'm not a Sunday-unashamed and Monday-through-Saturday-ashamed kind of guy am I??
"God, help my love for you to pour out of me in the way that I speak (and don't speak) and the way that I love other people. I want my actions to show that I am not ashamed of you or what you've done for or in me. I'm not ashamed of the things that I don't understand and the questions I can't answer. Because my faith is in you and not my own understanding. Thank you that it is NOT a blind faith, but don't let my unanswered questions be a wall between me and the people around me!"
To God be the glory....great things he has done and is doing!
No comments:
Post a Comment