Matthew 13:53-58 tells us about Jesus going to his hometown and preaching in a synagogue (Jewish place of worship). However, the people of that town recognized Him and took offense at how wise He was and didn't believe Him. Jesus even points out that a prophet is respected everywhere except in his home town and his own house.
It makes a kind of sense. Even though we know Jesus hadn't sinned, the neighbors would have just seen a really good boy, but a boy nonetheless. A child who had grown up like all children, who had brothers and sisters, a mother and a father. What would make Him special enough to be teaching them at the young age of 30-ish?
What fascinates me this morning is that this passage even made it into the Bible. What good is it doing? I mean, it'd be easy for a non-believer to say, "See! They knew the truth about Jesus and rejected His teaching!!" Why not?
....yet the passage is here. What I really love is that while Jesus is both God and man, and He would have known (whether divinely or by human wisdom as he states it in 57b) that they were not going to believe. BUT HE STILL TRIED!! He didn't just ignore them knowing they wouldn't listen. He still went He taught them.
...church tradition/history also has it that James (the brother in vs. 56) was the bishop of the church in Jerusalem until his death. Eventually, even some family did believe. Did it matter to them that Jesus had at least come and tried to teach?? Maybe...I know I would have remembered. Wouldn't you?
To God be the glory!
It makes a kind of sense. Even though we know Jesus hadn't sinned, the neighbors would have just seen a really good boy, but a boy nonetheless. A child who had grown up like all children, who had brothers and sisters, a mother and a father. What would make Him special enough to be teaching them at the young age of 30-ish?
What fascinates me this morning is that this passage even made it into the Bible. What good is it doing? I mean, it'd be easy for a non-believer to say, "See! They knew the truth about Jesus and rejected His teaching!!" Why not?
....yet the passage is here. What I really love is that while Jesus is both God and man, and He would have known (whether divinely or by human wisdom as he states it in 57b) that they were not going to believe. BUT HE STILL TRIED!! He didn't just ignore them knowing they wouldn't listen. He still went He taught them.
...church tradition/history also has it that James (the brother in vs. 56) was the bishop of the church in Jerusalem until his death. Eventually, even some family did believe. Did it matter to them that Jesus had at least come and tried to teach?? Maybe...I know I would have remembered. Wouldn't you?
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment