Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The 10 commandments...as found in the NT - Part 1

I've often been of a mindset that the 10 commandments are something from the Old Testament and maybe not as much for us, living in the age that we do. While I was always aware that some of them were repeated in the New Testament, I figured that was just some of them and not all of them.

...not true. Not true at all. In fact, some of the commandments were made MORE strict for us in our age than they were for Old Testament era Jews. Let's look.

STOP!!! Can you name the 10 commandments? Try. Comment below or on Facebook and tell me how many you got. I got 9 of them...but I was almost is backward order! :o) (I've listed them below if you scroll down)

First, Matthew 5:17 is clear that Christ did NOT come to abolish the old law (the 10 Commandments, etc.) but to fulfill it. He did NOT come to do away with the law. Paul goes even further in Romans 3:31 and he says that rather than tear down the law by faith, we uphold it!

OK, even if we don't live by the old laws because we know we are under grace, what about the Old Testament? Well...first, can you even name the 10 commandments? Since I couldn't, I wanted to list them below. Starting tomorrow we will spend a few days (it should be much less than 10) and we'll look at the NT passages that support (or even take it a step further) the 10 commandments as commands for us today!










1. Thou shalt have no other God's before me.
2. You shall make no graven images (don't make idols).
3. Take the Lord's name in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath day
5. Honor your parents
6. Do not murder
7. Do not commit adultery
8. Do not steal
9. Do not lie
10. Do not covet



No comments:

Post a Comment