Monday, May 18, 2015

When I am afraid, I will trust in me!

Do you remember the question I asked here? Where I talked about wanting things for my family and being afraid of what God might want me to do?

Right, well, it has been 2 weeks since that post. Yesterday we had a special speaker at church and he was used by God to hit me right in the heart. He preached through Psalm 56. The whole sermon was really fantastic. However, a couple things really struck me.

1. There are two major references to rejoicing in God's Word. In verses 4 and 10 it talks about God, "whose word I praise."

My first slam to the heart is, when I am having these struggles...I don't praise God's Word. I know it is there, but I don't spend time in it and loving it or the God who gave it to us.

2. Verse 8 has a reference to putting our tears in God's bottle. Our speaker pointed out that when milk spoils, you throw it out. When you have some precious, however, you put it in a bottle. (Ointment, perfume, etc.) To know that my tears are precious to God is amazing.

The second thing then was that I needed to be reminded that for all my frustrations and, yes, tears...God still cares. Even when I am turning my face from Him. Because I am His child, He still loves me and He still cares about my tears!

3. In verses 3, 4, and 11 David (the author of this Psalm) talks about trusting God and not being afraid. Our speaker used a great word-picture. He talked about being a child and getting his first allowance. He got $1 a week. He remembers thinking he was pretty big stuff when he started getting this. He then talked about what it would be like if he had gone to his parents with something like this. "Mom and Dad. I really appreciate everything you've done for me, but now that I have this $1 a week allowance, I don't need you anymore. I'm going to be completely dependent from you as this is what I needed."   ...if you aren't smiling (or laughing) right now...then go back and re-read that again. It's ridiculous. His dad would then need to sit him down and talk about: rent, food costs, clothing costs, insurance, etc, etc.     ....not to mention that he is STILL depending on them to KEEP getting $1 a week.

What struck me is that I wanted to do the same thing. "God, you've given me a love of history, a family that I adore, and friends and family to support me. I appreciate all that you've done, but I want independence from you now. I'm going to do things my own way." It sounds lame....yet that is the desire and temptation in my heart at times.

Everything I have is from God.
God sustains me so that I keep everything I have.
Everything I will EVER have will be from God.

It isn't just a past tense thing. We can't just hope to attain a moment where we have enough to be self-sufficient and no longer need God. It is past tense, present tense, and future tense. In every direction of time (backward, here now, and forward) I need God in my life. I know that God doesn't want me to be miserable and that He wants what is best for my family. Yet, I am afraid sometimes what "best" means. So, when I am afraid, I can trust in me....or I can trust in God. As choices go, this seems obvious to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment