Saturday, May 23, 2015

5 point Calvinism: Limited Atonement

Here is one of my least favorite points of 5-point Calvinism. I have often struggled to articulate why, but Norman Geisler presented a word-picture that really helped.

Also, if I understand correctly, most Protestants who consider themselves 4-point Calvinists will reject this point specifically.

Limited Atonement is the doctrine that Jesus Christ died for the elect. So, the atonement that Christ's death paid for was limited and it was limited only to those who are elect.

While my initial thoughts would be fine, I'd actually like to start with the word-picture I eluded to above. Obviously no word picture is perfect, but it helps to illustrate one of my problems with this doctrine.

There was a farmer who own some land. On that land was a lake. Next to that the farmer put a sign that read, "Do not swim in lake. Will cause drowning." One day, as the farmer came by the lake he saw three people in it and they were all drowning. The farmer then stood next to the lake, crossed his arms, and said, "See. That's what the sign is for. Now you are all going to drown."

That's pretty harsh! Now, is it just? Absolutely. There was a sign, they disobeyed the sign, and they are suffering the consequences. All just, but no love at all.

the 5-point Calvinist then expands the story. As the farmer comes up to the lake and sees three people drowning, he calls out, "You. In the brown shirt" and he throws that one person a rope. That person then is able to be pulled out and the other two drown and die.

Again, all just, but not all loving.

So, another version would go like this. The farmer comes to the lake, sees three people drowning, and throws three ropes; one to each person. Then, one person, believing the rope will help, accepts the help and the farmer pulls them out. The other two, saying "I can do this on my own" refuse the rope, drown, and die.

Same result. Only one person is saved. however, this represents both justice (drowning if you refuse the help) and love (help offered to all.)

John 3:16 tells us that God loved the whole world. 2 Peter 3:9 tells us that God is not willing that any should perish but that all should reach repentance. Romans 5:6 says that in due time, Christ died for the ungodly. It doesn't say He died for some of the ungodly. The last time I checked...we are all ungodly! Even more compelling is 2 Cor 5:14 which says that Christ died for ALL. The ONLY way you can see this as limited atonement is to add to Scripture and say that Paul meant that Christ died for all of the elect. However, I don't know how you do that without reading into Scripture instead of just reading it for what it says. Last, 1 Timothy 2:4-6. Here we see that God desires that all people be saved that and Christ died for all. I don't know how to do this more plainly. I find the doctrine of Limited Atonement to be a very anti-Biblical doctrine.

Again, I welcome thoughts and comments. Both in agreement and in opposition. I don't claim to be perfect and if this was a cut and dry issue, it wouldn't still be an issue hundreds of years later.

By the way, the next one is my 2nd least favorite point of 5-point Calvinism so stay tuned and we will talk about Irresistible Grace.

To GOD be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment