We begin with the first point of Calvinism: Total Depravity.
The idea behind this point is that man is so depraved that he can't even understand the Gospel. Man, in his sinful state, cannot receive the gospel. He is a spiritual corpse. One verse that is used is Ephesians 2:1. Which clearly states that we are dead in our trespasses and sins. Verse 5 goes on to say that God made us alive. There is clear imagery here of death and life.
I have many times heard it said that we were a dead corpse, spiritually. That is,spiritually, we are unable to see, hear, understand, or believe. 1 Corinthians 2:14 is used here.
Part of the imagery here is that, because we are completely spiritually dead, God has to make us alive before we can be saved. We can't possibly be saved while being spiritually dead. Therefore, it is supposed, we must be made alive (by God) so that we are capable of believing. Faith comes after salvation, rather than faith being a means of salvation.
Does the Bible support that notion though? I would contend that it does not!
First, let's look at the context in Ephesians 2. While you could read the first view verses to give you the idea that we are completely dead and God gives us spiritual life...what about verse 8? ...saved through faith. Because we see "saved through faith" it means the faith comes first and the salvation 2nd. That is in opposition to the way that 5-point Calvinists explain Total Depravity.
Another is Romans 5:1. Here we are justified by faith. We don't get faith through our justification, rather we get justified through/by faith. Again, this is backwards to the view of Total Depravity.
Acts 6:31. When the jailer asked what he must do to be saved, Paul told him to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." He didn't say, "Well, as soon as God regenerates you and makes your dead corpse alive, you can believe on him because you are already regenerated and, therefore, saved." Now, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but the point is the same.
The New Testament is FULL of examples of believing in order to receive salvation, not receiving salvation in order to believe.
So, IF the Bible does not support the "Spiritual corpse" belief, then what do we do with passages like Ephesians that talk about how we were dead in our trespasses and sins until God gave us life? First, we remember that "dead" can have two meanings. Either "annihilation" (dead corpse) or "separation." In the Bible, dead is used to mean separation. Look at all the passages that talk about going to be with the Lord, or our body and soul separating (absent with the body is present with the Lord). Yet, the doctrine of Total Depravity really takes an "annihilation" view toward our spiritual "death" instead of the standard "separation" view of Scripture.
I could also touch on Dr. Geisler's point about the image of God and that we are made in the image and God and able to understand His grace, but I think I've hit this point enough for our purposes.
I'd love your (calm and rational) thoughts if you'd like to share. This is an open discussion. Again, I remind you that I think that good, Godly people are on both sides of this debate, I simply fall on a particular side myself! :o)
To GOD be the glory!
The idea behind this point is that man is so depraved that he can't even understand the Gospel. Man, in his sinful state, cannot receive the gospel. He is a spiritual corpse. One verse that is used is Ephesians 2:1. Which clearly states that we are dead in our trespasses and sins. Verse 5 goes on to say that God made us alive. There is clear imagery here of death and life.
I have many times heard it said that we were a dead corpse, spiritually. That is,spiritually, we are unable to see, hear, understand, or believe. 1 Corinthians 2:14 is used here.
Part of the imagery here is that, because we are completely spiritually dead, God has to make us alive before we can be saved. We can't possibly be saved while being spiritually dead. Therefore, it is supposed, we must be made alive (by God) so that we are capable of believing. Faith comes after salvation, rather than faith being a means of salvation.
Does the Bible support that notion though? I would contend that it does not!
First, let's look at the context in Ephesians 2. While you could read the first view verses to give you the idea that we are completely dead and God gives us spiritual life...what about verse 8? ...saved through faith. Because we see "saved through faith" it means the faith comes first and the salvation 2nd. That is in opposition to the way that 5-point Calvinists explain Total Depravity.
Another is Romans 5:1. Here we are justified by faith. We don't get faith through our justification, rather we get justified through/by faith. Again, this is backwards to the view of Total Depravity.
Acts 6:31. When the jailer asked what he must do to be saved, Paul told him to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." He didn't say, "Well, as soon as God regenerates you and makes your dead corpse alive, you can believe on him because you are already regenerated and, therefore, saved." Now, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but the point is the same.
The New Testament is FULL of examples of believing in order to receive salvation, not receiving salvation in order to believe.
So, IF the Bible does not support the "Spiritual corpse" belief, then what do we do with passages like Ephesians that talk about how we were dead in our trespasses and sins until God gave us life? First, we remember that "dead" can have two meanings. Either "annihilation" (dead corpse) or "separation." In the Bible, dead is used to mean separation. Look at all the passages that talk about going to be with the Lord, or our body and soul separating (absent with the body is present with the Lord). Yet, the doctrine of Total Depravity really takes an "annihilation" view toward our spiritual "death" instead of the standard "separation" view of Scripture.
I could also touch on Dr. Geisler's point about the image of God and that we are made in the image and God and able to understand His grace, but I think I've hit this point enough for our purposes.
I'd love your (calm and rational) thoughts if you'd like to share. This is an open discussion. Again, I remind you that I think that good, Godly people are on both sides of this debate, I simply fall on a particular side myself! :o)
To GOD be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment