Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Why do we bark at the people who mean the most to us?

OK. Not literal barking.

You know what I mean though. At least for people like myself who struggle with several of the parts of the Fruit of the Spirit and who struggles with self-control a lot, I find myself "barking" at the people I love the most. I keep my guard up at work, at church, in the store, and (usually) in the car. However, when I get home, and I get more "comfortable" I find myself short on patience (Fruit), kindness (Fruit), I don't act very loving (Fruit) sometimes, and I just find it hard to control (Fruit) those frustrations that well up in me.

I hope it isn't just me...and yet, I kind of hope it IS just me. I'd like to think there are NOT a ton of people out there who act the worst around the people who mean the most to them.

I kind of understand it. I know that at a subconscious level I presume that my wife and children won't leave me, hate me, or despise me. I also assume that they will forgive me. That's subconscious though. When I think about it, I know they shouldn't and I don't always understand why they put up with me.

So, in the name of God's glory: "Thank you Pam, Maya K, and even Layla, for being loving (Fruit), patient (Fruit), kind, (Fruit), joyful (Fruit), etc. when I am not at my best. Thank you for demonstrating what Jesus did for all of us: he loved us when we were at our worst!"

...who do you need to thank today? Or, who do you need to apologize to AND thank today?

To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment