Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Fruit of the Spirit: Goodness

The Greek word used here has the idea of goodness, even kindness, but also "uprightness of heart and life." The dictionary defines uprightness as being honest or honorable.

Some of you may not know this, but I was a habitual liar as a child. Another way I have found to describe it is a "reflex liar." Someone who, when asked something, would often lie by reflex with no consideration to the consequences and without any pre-conceived plan to lie. I didn't think about lying or even think about smart lying...it would just pop out.

I did get caught sometimes, but, unfortunately, my parents never recognized it for what it was. So, I moved into my upper-teen years and adulthood with the same problem. It doesn't manifest itself often, but it still happens. Thankfully, God is working on me (working on me HARD) which means the Spirit is trying to work "goodness" into me. I see it coming, but it comes so slow sometimes.

I say all of that as an example to those of you who might find themselves (or someone they love) in the same position. To focus on killing the bad behavior is good, but it isn't enough. We have to focus on what we are replacing it with. I have found, in the last 6 days, that I have the Fruit of the Spirit memorized. Having talked about 6 of them now, it is great to just take some time to pray through them. To ask God to show me how the Spirit is evidenced in my life and then to ask him to show me where I'm lacking. That encourages me to focus on those areas and see how the Spirit is stretching and growing me.

I love Philippians 4:8 here because thinking of things that are honorable is listed. Just dwelling on and filling our minds with things that are honorable is important to this whole process. What goes in our minds comes out in our attitudes and actions. I used to think that was cliche, but it is incredibly true. The kind of music I listen to can be evidenced in my attitude and behavior.

Praise God that he is still working on me. How about you? Jesus died on a cross for our individual sins. He died so that we could have direct access to God, through prayer. Do we use that tool? Do we then allow the Spirit to work in us and to work on us to make us more like Christ and to keep us growing in this Fruit of the Spirit?

To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment