Sunday, March 15, 2015

What DOES the Bible say about praying for each other?

I have to admit that there are more verses about praying for others than I had remembered. It was a challenge to me to be reminded of all the times that we are told to pray for others. I wanted to just list and link a few that stuck out to me.

Here are three examples of Paul asking for others to pray for him.
I Thessalonians 5:25
Romans 15:30 - I love this one because Paul specifically says that he wants them to pray WITH him, to God, on his behalf. He doesn't just say "pray for me," he says "pray with me."
II Thessalonians 3:1 - here it specifically gives a reason for praying for them. Pray that the Word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored.

Verses that tell us to pray for each other:
James 5:16
Ephesians 6:18 - this one is actually both. Paul asks the Ephesian believers to pray always...and to that end to keep all the saints and himself in their prayers.
I Timothy 2:1 - for all people. If that doesn't challenge you. I mean, are we even praying consistently for our loved ones and friends? Much less everyone else that we know? Much less all the people we don't know??

Here Paul says that he has been praying for these believers, so he serves as an example.
Colossians 1:3, 9

Jesus tells us to pray for the people who persecute us.
Matthew 5:44

Just to tie this off. I was reminded of this verse by a friend the other day and it is very apt to this conversation about praying for each other. We don't always know HOW to pray for each other or WHAT to pray for each other. Thankfully, there's a verse for that!
Romans 8:26

No comments:

Post a Comment