Whoa. This Greek word is used 244 times in the New Testament. So, when something is used that often do you think we should be paying attention?? I think so!
First of all, the faith here in Galatians 5:22 is obviously not faith for salvation. That would not make sense since the list is a list of the results of the Spirit in our lives. Yet we do not have the Spirit unless we already had faith for salvation. So, that can't be what he means.
The old King James Version (KJV) of the Bible just had the word "faith" instead of "faithfulness" which gives a different idea to the word. Just having the word "faith" gives the idea of having faith in someone or something. In fact, that's the tact that Martin Luther used in his commentary on Galatians where he says that this faith is faith in men. Faith in men even when they are faithless.
The interpretation here has "faithfulness" and that gives me the idea of being faithful people. Being people who can be depended on. People who will say something and they will do it. They won't have to swear, but rather, when they say "yes" or "no" then "yes" or "no" is what will happen! (Matthew 5:33-37)
I'm NOT a Greek scholar. I know just enough to be dangerous and even that is just using a very helpful website. So, I can't tell you if one of these is correct or if both are viable. I want you to remember that "translators are interpreters." This is always true.
So, faithfulness. Are we faithful people. Do we say things and they happen? Do we act in faith towards our fellow men? Towards God in what we've told God we will do? Are we faithful in our business practices? Are we faithful with time (Do we arrive when we tell people we will arrive, do we waste our time, are we good stewards of our time, etc.)?
Then, I would use the "faith" application, but I would use it toward God. not for salvation, because that is assumed in our "Fruit of the Spirit" conversation. However, do you have faith in God on a daily basis. Do you have faith that he will provide for you today? Do you have faith that if something bad happens, it is because God has a bigger plan for your life? That God may even be reaching others through your life and it may not be about you?
To God be the glory!
First of all, the faith here in Galatians 5:22 is obviously not faith for salvation. That would not make sense since the list is a list of the results of the Spirit in our lives. Yet we do not have the Spirit unless we already had faith for salvation. So, that can't be what he means.
The old King James Version (KJV) of the Bible just had the word "faith" instead of "faithfulness" which gives a different idea to the word. Just having the word "faith" gives the idea of having faith in someone or something. In fact, that's the tact that Martin Luther used in his commentary on Galatians where he says that this faith is faith in men. Faith in men even when they are faithless.
The interpretation here has "faithfulness" and that gives me the idea of being faithful people. Being people who can be depended on. People who will say something and they will do it. They won't have to swear, but rather, when they say "yes" or "no" then "yes" or "no" is what will happen! (Matthew 5:33-37)
I'm NOT a Greek scholar. I know just enough to be dangerous and even that is just using a very helpful website. So, I can't tell you if one of these is correct or if both are viable. I want you to remember that "translators are interpreters." This is always true.
So, faithfulness. Are we faithful people. Do we say things and they happen? Do we act in faith towards our fellow men? Towards God in what we've told God we will do? Are we faithful in our business practices? Are we faithful with time (Do we arrive when we tell people we will arrive, do we waste our time, are we good stewards of our time, etc.)?
Then, I would use the "faith" application, but I would use it toward God. not for salvation, because that is assumed in our "Fruit of the Spirit" conversation. However, do you have faith in God on a daily basis. Do you have faith that he will provide for you today? Do you have faith that if something bad happens, it is because God has a bigger plan for your life? That God may even be reaching others through your life and it may not be about you?
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment