This Greek word appears 9 times in the New testament and every time it is translated as Meekness (at least in the KJV). I also noticed that it always a command to us to be meek, or restore someone in meekness, etc. It is not an attribute of God or something he has towards us.
What is meekness?
The dictionary defines meekness being submissive or quite/gentle/easily imposed on. I remember when I was younger hearing it as, "Strength under control." Meekness is having ability and having rights and not demanding them. It is allowing people to impose on us when they have no right to. It is being submissive whether we really should or not. Obviously we are not going to go against the Bible or God's law in doing this. There are other, Biblical, limitations to this, but let's not hit all of those right now.
The Fruit or result of the Spirit is meekness. It is an attitude of being willing to submit. It is not demanding things of our pastors just because we think we know better (even if we are right) and it is not being demanding of those around us. We all have roles to play (parents and children, bosses to employees) but this is speaking in a generality. I should, as a Spirit-led Christian, not feel like I need to demand that I be heard (or listened to for that matter) by my fellow Christians. There should be an attitude of mutual submissiveness that allows us to communicate and, in prayer and supplication, determine what the will of God is.
This is NO unnatural for us. Too often we feel that we won't be heard or get any say unless we demand it. Did you hear it? YES!!! It's a control issue! Meekness is making a conscious decision that God will fight your battles and have your arguments. Always? No. Obviously God uses us to accomplish his work, we see that clearly in Scripture. However, having the character of meekness allows us to allow Him to be in control and direct us instead of jumping on this and making a mess of them. Man, I'm not good at this yet. So I am continuing to pray for the Spirit to keep working in me so that I can see the result of him in my life.
To God be the glory!
What is meekness?
The dictionary defines meekness being submissive or quite/gentle/easily imposed on. I remember when I was younger hearing it as, "Strength under control." Meekness is having ability and having rights and not demanding them. It is allowing people to impose on us when they have no right to. It is being submissive whether we really should or not. Obviously we are not going to go against the Bible or God's law in doing this. There are other, Biblical, limitations to this, but let's not hit all of those right now.
The Fruit or result of the Spirit is meekness. It is an attitude of being willing to submit. It is not demanding things of our pastors just because we think we know better (even if we are right) and it is not being demanding of those around us. We all have roles to play (parents and children, bosses to employees) but this is speaking in a generality. I should, as a Spirit-led Christian, not feel like I need to demand that I be heard (or listened to for that matter) by my fellow Christians. There should be an attitude of mutual submissiveness that allows us to communicate and, in prayer and supplication, determine what the will of God is.
This is NO unnatural for us. Too often we feel that we won't be heard or get any say unless we demand it. Did you hear it? YES!!! It's a control issue! Meekness is making a conscious decision that God will fight your battles and have your arguments. Always? No. Obviously God uses us to accomplish his work, we see that clearly in Scripture. However, having the character of meekness allows us to allow Him to be in control and direct us instead of jumping on this and making a mess of them. Man, I'm not good at this yet. So I am continuing to pray for the Spirit to keep working in me so that I can see the result of him in my life.
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment