Friday, January 30, 2015

Project Control - Day 5 - mind-control - controlling our thoughts

Day 5 (01/30/15) AM: SO, the trend I'm seeing is that I need to be consciously, mentally focused on God. That will affect what I'm thinking and what I'm doing on the long haul. Yet, I find it very hard to do because I'm not used to being mentally self-controlled. Sad, but true!

Obviously the verses we've looked at so far have talked about this. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all to the glory of God. That requires being intentional about what you are thinking and saying which involves thinking about what you are saying and being conscientious about what you are thinking. Being anxious for nothing and taking our prayers and our beggings (supplications) to God requires being consciously aware of God's close presence with us. Rejoicing in the Lord always definitely requires being consciously aware of the fact that God IS in control. He does have my best interests in mind. Yet, he has a larger plan which means that not everything will FEEL best or even seem best, yet I can rejoice in the Lord anyway.

On the theme of thinking right thoughts, Philippians 4:8 has much to say. Actually, it's a simple list of the things we should be thinking about.

Whatever is true
Whatever is honorable (either bringing or worthy of honor)
Whatever is just (based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair)
Whatever is pure (free of contamination...that's a good word-picture)
Whatever is lovely (things that would be beautiful to God...not just beauty as we naturally think of it)
Whatever is commendable (deserving praise)
Anything that is excellent
Anything worthy of praise

Well, at least it's a simple list, right?? :o)

Definitions from Google



Day 5 (01/30/15) PM: Wow. The work day was really good. I had several moments of trying to think of what things I could think about as things to rejoice in the Lord. I also was thinking about ways to see if what I was saying or doing was glorifying God. Fantastic.

Then the night came. I got home from work, and in one hour I vacuumed the stairs, got the baby up and held her, and ate dinner. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it felt very busy to me...partly because that one hour mark turned into about 45 minutes before our two social workers came for our final post-placement visit. Whew.

A truth about me: I function best when I have some time to unwind, catch up on e-mail/Facebook, etc. when I get home from work. 15 minutes is OK but a half hour is great. I had neither tonight. I had about 5 minutes and those involved my 7 year old trying to get my attention. So, how did I respond by letting God have control of my life???? I didn't. I was short with BOTH my wife and daughter. I didn't want to hold Layla because it was keeping me from my plans. I'd love to tell you that I realized this before our social workers came, but I really didn't. It was during the visit that I realized how pathetic I had been acting. So, I have apologized to both of them and tried to straighten myself out. Why do I mention all of this? Simple: it was a control issue. I had a plan of what I wanted and it simply didn't happen. Because of that, instead of focusing on ways to rejoice in the Lord and trying to glorify him, I reacted more harshly than I should. However, praise God for a family that loves me and forgives me when I apologize for my mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment