This will be a quick one. I am not covering the whole chapter....because verse 4 is just that amazing.
Psalm 4:4 "Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. SELAH"
Now, I was always taught that the idea behind "SELAH" was to stop and reflect on what had been said. Looking at blueletterbible.com it looks like it may actually just signify a break (like in thought) and it's technically a musical term....which means I may not understand it anyway. :o)
So, whether it means to reflect on it or not, we are going to.
When you are angry, don't sin. That makes sense to me. Yet, that is exactly what our tendency is. When I get angry at Maya K I have a tendency to yell, be unloving and unkind, or simply be inconsiderate of her feelings. That is all sin and wrong...especially as the parent...but I'm as human as she is.
So, what is the answer? This was what was so great. The answer was, reflect on things ("ponder in your hearts" - don't ignore what is going on. Reflect on what is ACTUALLY making you angry, how you can respond, etc.), do it on your bed (That's right...self-induced time-out!), and shut up. I know that's no something parents of small children should say, but it's here. BE SILENT.
I don't know about you, but when I'm angry, physical violence usually isn't my issue. It's my tongue. My tongue gets me in SOOOOOOO much trouble when I'm angry. So, what is the recipe? Genuinely reflect on what is going on, take a self-induced time out, and be quiet!
To God be the glory!
Psalm 4:4 "Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. SELAH"
Now, I was always taught that the idea behind "SELAH" was to stop and reflect on what had been said. Looking at blueletterbible.com it looks like it may actually just signify a break (like in thought) and it's technically a musical term....which means I may not understand it anyway. :o)
So, whether it means to reflect on it or not, we are going to.
When you are angry, don't sin. That makes sense to me. Yet, that is exactly what our tendency is. When I get angry at Maya K I have a tendency to yell, be unloving and unkind, or simply be inconsiderate of her feelings. That is all sin and wrong...especially as the parent...but I'm as human as she is.
So, what is the answer? This was what was so great. The answer was, reflect on things ("ponder in your hearts" - don't ignore what is going on. Reflect on what is ACTUALLY making you angry, how you can respond, etc.), do it on your bed (That's right...self-induced time-out!), and shut up. I know that's no something parents of small children should say, but it's here. BE SILENT.
I don't know about you, but when I'm angry, physical violence usually isn't my issue. It's my tongue. My tongue gets me in SOOOOOOO much trouble when I'm angry. So, what is the recipe? Genuinely reflect on what is going on, take a self-induced time out, and be quiet!
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment