In our first look at Psalm 1 we saw what a blessed person does not do. Now we will look at what they do, what they are, and what the wicked are.
Psalm 1:2 tells us that these blessed people (who avoid the things in verse 1) do two things. They delight in the law of the Lord and then meditate on that law; day and night. This reference to "the law" is a reference to the Mosaic law. You are looking at books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I don't know about you, but those are some tough books to read through. Now, that is what the Psalmist is talking about. I would argue that we have a full and complete Bible now. So, practically apply this to all of Scripture. Do we delight in God's Word and do we meditate on it day and night. Do you find yourself doing menial tasks and reflecting on a passage of Scripture you read the night before or that morning or does the Bible only come to mind when it is in front of you?
Next we see some of what this blessed person is like. He is never without his needs provided for...like a tree planted by a river. I also like, "Whatever he does will prosper." This doesn't mean he won't have opposition or that he will become perfect. But if you've ever known someone who truly loved God's Word, then you have known someone who many people wanted to help whenever needed. People, believers and non-believers alike, wanted to see this person succeed in their efforts. Especially since a person who truly reads, meditates on, and understands the Bible, is a person who wants the best for everyone they come across! They don't can't the first stone because they know they are not without sin and yet they remember that Christ also said to "go and sin no more."
Lastly, we see that the wicked are like the chaff that the wind drives away. While the wicked people that we may see in our day are very unpleasant to behold, how many of them have come and gone, like the wind blowing chaff, and then they are no more? I'm an amateur historian and I see plenty of examples of wicked people in history...and yet they are gone.
Tomorrow (hopefully) we will take a look at Psalm 2. Again, I encourage you to go read Psalm 1 today because I didn't (and won't) cover every single verse.
To God be the glory.
Psalm 1:2 tells us that these blessed people (who avoid the things in verse 1) do two things. They delight in the law of the Lord and then meditate on that law; day and night. This reference to "the law" is a reference to the Mosaic law. You are looking at books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I don't know about you, but those are some tough books to read through. Now, that is what the Psalmist is talking about. I would argue that we have a full and complete Bible now. So, practically apply this to all of Scripture. Do we delight in God's Word and do we meditate on it day and night. Do you find yourself doing menial tasks and reflecting on a passage of Scripture you read the night before or that morning or does the Bible only come to mind when it is in front of you?
Next we see some of what this blessed person is like. He is never without his needs provided for...like a tree planted by a river. I also like, "Whatever he does will prosper." This doesn't mean he won't have opposition or that he will become perfect. But if you've ever known someone who truly loved God's Word, then you have known someone who many people wanted to help whenever needed. People, believers and non-believers alike, wanted to see this person succeed in their efforts. Especially since a person who truly reads, meditates on, and understands the Bible, is a person who wants the best for everyone they come across! They don't can't the first stone because they know they are not without sin and yet they remember that Christ also said to "go and sin no more."
Lastly, we see that the wicked are like the chaff that the wind drives away. While the wicked people that we may see in our day are very unpleasant to behold, how many of them have come and gone, like the wind blowing chaff, and then they are no more? I'm an amateur historian and I see plenty of examples of wicked people in history...and yet they are gone.
Tomorrow (hopefully) we will take a look at Psalm 2. Again, I encourage you to go read Psalm 1 today because I didn't (and won't) cover every single verse.
To God be the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment