Sunday, July 5, 2015

The book of Psalms: Psalm 1

I figure, if I don't consistently blog without a series...then I need a new series. So, let's look at the Psalms. Martin Luther referred to the Psalms as "The Bible within the Bible." It's true. How few biblical truths can't be found in the book of Psalms?? Not many. The Psalms are full of encouragement, discouragement, repentance, questioning God, etc., etc.

Admittedly, since the Psalms are so varied in both size and content, this will have to be flexible, but I'll do the best I can to at least touch on each one.

Psalm 1: the second-most memorized chapter in the book of Psalms. the first being Psalm 23.

I remember memorizing Psalm 1 as a child. I remember remembering it when I then re-read it as an adult. I couldn't quote all of it for you today, but I remember much of it.

Two things stick out to me in Psalm 1. Verse 1 and verses 2-4.

Verse 1 has an interesting progression. This was pointed out to me as a teenager and this has stuck with me and I find it to be often (if not always) true. The progression is: walk, stand, and sit. Think of something that is a problem for you. Whether this describes every instance of it or just the overall progression of it becoming a problem for you. First, we walk past it. Maybe we do a double-glance while we keep walking. The next thing we know we have stopped and we are standing. Uh oh. Now we don't have the same intention of continuing on, but at least we haven't decided to stay for too long, right? Wrong. Because then we are sitting down. Let's call it a snack in the house. Since mine usually involves the freezer (ice cream, chocolate chips, frozen cookies, etc.) we'll go there. First I walk by and in passing, I remember they are there. The next thing I know, I'm standing there reminding myself I wasn't going to have any more. So, I haven't opened the freezer yet, but I'm standing which is an outward sign of the inward struggle that is ALREADY going on....even if nothing bad has happened. Then, I'm sitting at the table with the food gone or in front of me as I indulge. While the food may be harmless, when we apply this to sin issues, you can see the problem. We are already pre-disposed to the temptation (because Satan is no fool) and we have to have an answer that keeps us "walking."

OK. Analogy aside. A blessed man (gender neutral) is someone who does not walk (do life) within the framework of wicked counsel, who does not put themselves among sinners as a lifestyle, and who does not spend their time with fools who mock and make fun of others in a hurtful way.

This is not ruling out ministry opportunities among those who do not know Jesus. We have a responsibility to share life with them. however, their lifestyles are not to become ours. Because, if that happens, not only are no longer shining as a light, but we are ourselves in need of help rather than being the help we intended to be.


Tomorrow, we'll look at the next few verses and then we'll jump on to the next chapter. I love the book of Psalms, but I've never read it all so I'm looking forward to this journey with any of you that join me. I would encourage you to take the time to read the chapter that we talk about on the day that I post. Just to give yourself the full context (I'm not going to comment on every single verse).

To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment