Last time we looked at the last verse of Psalm 7. Today we are going to look at the first two.
There are two key thoughts in these verses and I think they are very interesting.
1. The reality of our protection.
2. The reality of our persecutors.
First: So, who or what protects us? Do my job protect me? I mean, it pays the bills, right? How about my hobbies. Those who don't know me, I love board games. I watch youtube videos of reviews, I watch vids or other people playing them, I buy them, I teach them to people and I just enjoy the process or learning and spending time with people. Can I hide inside that hobby for protection? How about people? I love my wife and my daughters. Can I "take refuge" in them?
Technically, the obvious answer is "yes." (Didn't see that coming did you! :o) So, we can take refuge in those things. In fact, we often do. But they not only don't deserve that kind of pressure, but we sell ourselves short because we are using an inferior refuge in our time of need when we do this.
In fact, we dialogue this with our 8 year old at times. We talk about the fact that God is using the job that I have to provide for our needs. The key is that the job doesn't provide for our needs. God does. He just uses the job. The job could be gone tomorrow and I would continue to trust God to provide for my needs because He's the one whose been doing it all along.
Second; There is something about those "pursuers." Now, we know that David had physical pursuers who were often trying to kill him. However, we have pursuers (so did David) of a spiritual nature. While we believe, Biblically, that once we have accepted Jesus as our Savior, our soul is secure in His (and the Father's) hands. However, David uses the imagery here of his pursuers trying to rend him "like a lion" and "tear (his) soul." Holy cow. How graphic and dramatic can you be. I mean, really, isn't that a little much???
Let's be honest. We are (most of us anyway) often lax about the spiritual warfare around us. We often don't take sin seriously because our culture has lured us into a position of believing that "it's OK to XYZ." So, our soul is "damaged" if you will. We are at least out of tune with what God wants for our lives.
David is recognizing that his refuge is in God and God alone because if it weren't, he would be in grave peril because those who don't care about him spiritually would try to tear him apart. Are we aware of that same need for protection? Do we take refuge in God like we should??
To God be the glory!!
There are two key thoughts in these verses and I think they are very interesting.
1. The reality of our protection.
2. The reality of our persecutors.
First: So, who or what protects us? Do my job protect me? I mean, it pays the bills, right? How about my hobbies. Those who don't know me, I love board games. I watch youtube videos of reviews, I watch vids or other people playing them, I buy them, I teach them to people and I just enjoy the process or learning and spending time with people. Can I hide inside that hobby for protection? How about people? I love my wife and my daughters. Can I "take refuge" in them?
Technically, the obvious answer is "yes." (Didn't see that coming did you! :o) So, we can take refuge in those things. In fact, we often do. But they not only don't deserve that kind of pressure, but we sell ourselves short because we are using an inferior refuge in our time of need when we do this.
In fact, we dialogue this with our 8 year old at times. We talk about the fact that God is using the job that I have to provide for our needs. The key is that the job doesn't provide for our needs. God does. He just uses the job. The job could be gone tomorrow and I would continue to trust God to provide for my needs because He's the one whose been doing it all along.
Second; There is something about those "pursuers." Now, we know that David had physical pursuers who were often trying to kill him. However, we have pursuers (so did David) of a spiritual nature. While we believe, Biblically, that once we have accepted Jesus as our Savior, our soul is secure in His (and the Father's) hands. However, David uses the imagery here of his pursuers trying to rend him "like a lion" and "tear (his) soul." Holy cow. How graphic and dramatic can you be. I mean, really, isn't that a little much???
Let's be honest. We are (most of us anyway) often lax about the spiritual warfare around us. We often don't take sin seriously because our culture has lured us into a position of believing that "it's OK to XYZ." So, our soul is "damaged" if you will. We are at least out of tune with what God wants for our lives.
David is recognizing that his refuge is in God and God alone because if it weren't, he would be in grave peril because those who don't care about him spiritually would try to tear him apart. Are we aware of that same need for protection? Do we take refuge in God like we should??
To God be the glory!!
No comments:
Post a Comment