Friday, June 15, 2018

Christians and compromise

When was the last time you gave something up for the sake of Christ? Or, better yet, when was the last time you sensed you should give something up but either didn't or did but then found a reason that you had been mistaken later so that you could undo the change? I mean, giving up things for Christ is fine and good for the missionaries, pastors, and those of a similar vocation...but I'm just a regular Joe. That's not my job, right?

Another angle: the Bible talks about our minds. The main verse for me here is Romans 12:2 where we are told that the way to our metamorphosis is the renewing of our mind. However, we also have 2 Cor 10:5 which talks about taking every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ. There are other verses too.

So, as I considered what I put into my mind: what movies I watch, what music I listen to, things I see and absorb on social media, etc. I realized that I have compromised the Bible in a subtle but drastic way. And I wonder if I'm alone or if you have fallen into this as well.

When I consider what I am going to watch, listen to, etc. I usually ask myself "is this wrong?" or "is this bad?" These are not bad questions. They keep me from personal weak points and they keep me from grievous sins. So, that's a good thing. Right?

Right, except for the subjectivity. Example: I have a specific sin/addiction in my life and this leans toward me being more legalistic in certain areas to protect me from a weakness in my life. Someone else will have different areas that are worse for them and so they have different "wrong" things than I do. This leaves the individual in charge of content based what they perceive as things that are not good for them. It may mean that a new believer doesn't see things as wrong until someone shows them or suggests it to them and so we have this huge disparity in the Christian community. It leaves our teenagers (if not the rest of us too) confused or apathetic about what goes into their minds.

But the Bible. :o)

Phil 4 (specifically verses 7 & 8) gives us a completely different standard to use. First, the passage talks about how, when we are not anxious, but give our concerns to God, His peace will guard our hearts and MINDS. Then comes verse 8. here is the list of things we are to "think" about: whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable. Wow. That's a different list isn't it. I mean, rather than avoiding bad things, now we are told to specifically seek good things. Don't you see? The Bible tells us to cut out the gray areas. To avoid compromise entirely and to seek after things that are wholesome and good for our minds. The Bible's author knows us so well that that He gave us a command knowing the way our minds work. That what constantly goes in will control and ultimately change us (for better or for worse).


So, I ask. Are we going to be the men and women that God wants us to be or the men and women that we are willing to accept in ourselves?

Just so that you understand, this is a not a "high and mighty" post. I see changes that I should make to align myself with the truth of Scripture, but the thought isn't pleasant. So, I am faced with a choice to obey the God who loves me or to compromise within myself...again. What about you? Am I alone in this struggle or does this resonate with you?


To God be the glory.

1 comment: