Thursday, October 26, 2017

"Sexual addictions" or "Shhhhhhh. We don't talk about that..."

Why is it that statistics are out there that suggest that purity and sexual addictions (that covers a very broad range of things) are the #1 problem for men in this country and becoming a larger problem for more and more women...and yet we aren't talking about it?

Now, I know I don't talk about it in my workplace. I won't provide examples, but our culture has completely desensitized US to this issue. Not itself, but us. I mean, it has desensitized itself too, but Christians are alarmingly desensitized to the suggestive and sensual material that our culture is throwing at it's men and women on a daily (and sometimes constant) basis.

Here's what I really want to know. Where are our churches? I mean, really. Aren't the seasoned men, the ones in charge, on top of this issue and willing to fight for our youth? Aren't our pastors, deacons, elders (whichever title you use in your church) fighting to help make us more aware of the issue and empowering us through scientific understanding and Scripture to fight this fight?

I would first submit that some men are too ashamed. They know their own struggles and so they feel inadequate to the task of leading others to victory. I can respect that. However, if you are in a position of leadership in your church and that is you, can you not make sure people know that and FIND someone who CAN lead in this area....oh, and maybe get the same help and be led to victory???

It's not just our youth anyway. I'm 34. I have had men older than myself nodding in agreement about some of these issues...but we don't talk about it.

So, let me just say it here:

Substance addiction is hard and brutal. It leaves visible scars and takes a lot of time and pain to heal. Some people don't want help and some people end up dying for their addiction.

Behavioral addictions are different. (The following is thinking of sexual addictions, but many behavior addicts will understand.) No outer scars, but the ones on your soul can be just as damaging and the wounds that caused the scars take longer to heal. They are brutal on the person addicted and brutal on those who are being lied to by the addict. Many can't admit they are addicted for a very long time because there is no external evidence to allow others to help them see it. Many want help, but sometimes just end up wishing they were dead because they can't break their addictive behaviors.

I can tell from the lack of normal response on Facebook that this isn't a topic we want to talk about. But, guess what, it's out there and we should be talking about it.

So, let me end with a question. What is your church doing to educate, empower, and support those who have substance or behavior addictions? Do they have classes? Open conversations from the pulpit? Or is yours like mine and there is silence from the pulpit, not support from leadership, and men and women are struggling alone....which is a losing battle for addicts every time? - I mean this non-rhetorically. Respond here or on Facebook. What is your church doing?

The parable of the prince and the dragon.

Romans 7:19,21-25: For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep doing...So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Just Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with the flesh I serve the law of sin.

"Do you wish to be free from the dragon, my son?"
The Prince answered in despair, "I wished it many times, but there is no hope for me."
"Not alone," said the king. "You cannot win against the serpent alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment