Sunday, June 25, 2017

Accountability? ...on a corporate level??

What is the point of accountability? When is it appropriate? I mean, I've only ever thought of accountability as 1:1. Today, however, I heard someone talking about a church's Covenant as a form of corporate accountability. The idea intrigued me.

...and got me thinking. Is it just me, or do we not talk about our spiritual health at church? Maybe we do and maybe I'm just the one who doesn't. I mean, should this only be a 1:1 thing? Are we ashamed that we aren't perfect? Are we afraid that if we say "I haven't been consistent in my Bible reading for the last 2 years" that people will think less of us instead of trying to help encourage us? Are our issues so bad that we can't share them? Or am I just missing something?

Here's my concern. Even if they aren't bad, what impression are we giving by not talking about it? I figure one of two extremes. Either we give the impression, as I said before, that things are so bad that I'm ashamed to talk about them, or we give the impression that nothing is wrong.

So, what's the problem? Right? Well, let's see. How can a young person going through problems know that they won't be judged if they never hear anyone else talk about their problems? They are left thinking they'll be judged by perfect people or that people have their own over-whelming problems that they don't have more time or energy to spend on these young people.

I mean, we do this as new parents, right? Especially with social media today. A new-ish parent can post for advise and get all kinds of help. Some people jump on and are judgmental, but the majority just want to help and encourage and they do a great job of it. So, why aren't we doing that about our Christian life? Maybe it's those of us going through issues who don't talk about them who are responsible for starting this....but I've got to wonder where the older generations are at about this.

Why don't we talk about our Christian life and how it is (and isn't) doing?

Let me be clear though. I don't think we should stand before our church and air our dirty laundry. That has as much potential to cause problems as to fix any. However,  I think that just 1:1 isn't always the answer either. I think this is one of the real values of a small group (and by small I mean no more than 10-12). A group that you can get to know that, preferably, spans generations and walks of life so that you can each bring different experiences together and help each other grow and learn, but also get through the pains of life.

Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

We should be allowing our weaknesses to show how great a God we worship and allow younger people not to feel isolated. 2 Cor 12:9b roughly translates to: "I am going to be proud of my weaknesses and not hide them because it shows the mighty power of God that the good things done through me are from Him and Him alone." - NSV - Nate Standard Version

To God be the glory!!

1 comment: