This may be controversial for some. Some may view this as me just being a negative person, but I still believe it needs said. I kind of alluded to it in my last post.
Steve Harvey had a clip on Facebook recently that was themed as "God won't let you fall." His premise was that you "jump" when you are ready to try new things and that you don't have to be afraid because God won't let you fall.
...
...
OK. So, let's look at this from three quick angles. God as God, God as loving Father, and me.
God, as God, should feel no obligation to do for us simply because we have believed in Him. That is a vending machine. I put in the money, I press 31 and I get a Snickers. Without fail. In fact, if there is a fail, I get my money back. That is NOT how God works or who God is. God is God and not beholden to mankind!
God as a loving Father should not refuse to let us fall simply because we endeavor to do something by faith that He will not let us fall. Why? because if I choose to do something that will ultimately dishonor God, why would He not let that fall? Similarly, if I choose to do something that God knows will not be good for me, then why not let me fall? ....for more on this argument here is the blogpost with a one paragraph rant about the love of a father not being apathetic.
Viewing this from my perspective, I believe it requires a very self-centered view of life and existence to even want a God who acts like this. That is to say, knowing that the love of a father is so much more than just making sure I succeed at anything I want to do, I would not want to worship that kind of God: a God who doesn't care what is best for me and only cares about what makes me happy.
So, if we serve a greater God than this, then, rather than being negative people who are broken when things go wrong, we can be the most positive people in the world. Why? Because when things don't go right (which the Bible actually says they won't) we will know who is in control and that God is working things out for His glory ultimately, and for our best as He sees it.
Thank you God for loving me too much to just let me have whatever I want!
To God be the glory!
Steve Harvey had a clip on Facebook recently that was themed as "God won't let you fall." His premise was that you "jump" when you are ready to try new things and that you don't have to be afraid because God won't let you fall.
...
...
OK. So, let's look at this from three quick angles. God as God, God as loving Father, and me.
God, as God, should feel no obligation to do for us simply because we have believed in Him. That is a vending machine. I put in the money, I press 31 and I get a Snickers. Without fail. In fact, if there is a fail, I get my money back. That is NOT how God works or who God is. God is God and not beholden to mankind!
God as a loving Father should not refuse to let us fall simply because we endeavor to do something by faith that He will not let us fall. Why? because if I choose to do something that will ultimately dishonor God, why would He not let that fall? Similarly, if I choose to do something that God knows will not be good for me, then why not let me fall? ....for more on this argument here is the blogpost with a one paragraph rant about the love of a father not being apathetic.
Viewing this from my perspective, I believe it requires a very self-centered view of life and existence to even want a God who acts like this. That is to say, knowing that the love of a father is so much more than just making sure I succeed at anything I want to do, I would not want to worship that kind of God: a God who doesn't care what is best for me and only cares about what makes me happy.
So, if we serve a greater God than this, then, rather than being negative people who are broken when things go wrong, we can be the most positive people in the world. Why? Because when things don't go right (which the Bible actually says they won't) we will know who is in control and that God is working things out for His glory ultimately, and for our best as He sees it.
Thank you God for loving me too much to just let me have whatever I want!
To God be the glory!
Good stuff! Tonight at church we talked about the evil twin of the Divine Vending Machine god: the Cosmic Spoilsport god who likes you to suffer just for the sake of suffering (i.e. how many people approach Lent)
ReplyDelete