Wow. What a crazy day.
We woke up February 12th planning to go to Arizona that night. Not at all understanding that the day was already set against us.
The first sign of the day was shortly after Layla had had a little milk and part of a banana and she threw it all up on the floor. The weird thing was that she didn't have a fever and she was not acting lethargic at all. So, when she asked for some crackers a little bit later we gave her three...which she threw up within 20 minutes. (I had set a timer for 20 minutes so we can just kind of see how she was doing and she threw up just before it went off.)
Again, no fever and no lethargy. So we made the call to keep going with the day knowing that it might now happen. At one point Maya K asked how we would know if we were going to go or not and I told her that Layla had to be able to keep some food down.
Next, we realized we only had 1 suitcase large enough and it had a zipper that is starting to give out. Yes! We know we should have known that sooner. So, we made some contacts and God graciously workout out with a friend to go to their house, use their garage pad and go get suitcases even while they were gone. What a huge blessing!!
We continued through the day feeling stressed and anxious about whether or not we were going to go. Layla was seeming lethargic by lunch time, but she had kept food down for over an hour by that point...but she had lost her appetite. So, we knew we wouldn't really know until she got up from her nap....but we needed to be 98% ready to go by then. So, we kept plugging away.
Layla took a 2.25 hour nap and woke up her perfectly normal self....we were a go!!!!
Our friend, who was going to take us to the airport, arrived just as we realized we didn't have a government-issued form of ID for Layla. We were looking for her birth certificate (which we never did find and will be looking for when we get home). We went through a LOT of places to find it and found nothing. I finally asked if Pam knew where her social security card (SSC) was as that should work too. Finally, Pam did find that and we loaded up to go. We only left 15 minutes late, but 40% more stressed!
About half way to the airport Pam panicked that the SSC would not be enough as there is no birth date on it. After going back and forth with a little on that one, I called the American Airlines Customer Service number on our itinerary. It said there was a 16 minute hold time.....needless to say, we pulled into the airport at 19 minutes and I just hung up by that point.
In the middle there, we stopped at McDonald's to get some drive-thru food for an early dinner for the girls. Pam's credit card was in her backpack (in the back of the van) so I grabbed my wallet and pulled mine out. Because I was distracted on the phone, I then set my wallet down in the cup holder.
We got our food, went to the airport and got out. We thanked our friend some more and then went inside. It took me about 2 minutes to feel my pocket, realize my wallet wasn't there, and then to remember that it was in the van. Part way through this fiasco my cell phone died so all of this was happening with Pam's cell phone too.
So, I immediately called our friend's cell phone....and got no answer. I waited about 5 minutes and called again. To say the least, I called 6 more times over the next 12 minutes!! Our friend's roommate finally answered to say she had left her phone at home. Whoops.
Panic was setting in at this time. American Airlines had let us "check in" (minus my ID) and had taken our two bags and checked them in....so our stuff was going to Arizona whether we did or not. I was pacing and panicking. Pam grabbed my hand, pulled my face to hers, and just prayed with me. What a great moment and reminder from my wife of how I was trying to fix things and I wasn't praying for peace of provision at all. After a couple minutes of realizing I was pacing and frustrated again, I stopped and prayed. I told God that this whole thing had to be in His hands because I could not take care of it. I finished praying and within 20 seconds Pam came over and said, "Should we call Debbi?"
I didn't understand why at first, but her idea was to see if her sister could go to our house to catch our friend and get my wallet to me. I thought, "Thank you God for giving her such a great idea."
So, we called and she was at the store, but she called her husband, who loaded up the boys and went over to catch her. I haven't been able to work out if they got there as she was getting there or leaving, but either way they were able to catch her. We didn't know this yet, but God worked that timing out as well.
So, I was waiting to hear from my brother-in-law to see if they'd caught her or not. I finally called his cell phone and our friend answered. She said they had caught her and she was headed to us...but she was supposed to have been meeting her sister shortly and wasn't going to be able to. So, while she headed toward us at a pace that the police might have been interested to know about, I called her cell phone so that her roommate would answer and I could tell her to tell her sister (who was waiting there) that our friend was not going to be on time....holy cow!!!
As time progressed we realized how close we were going to be cutting it. We finally decided to send Pam and the girls through so that their security stuff would be done. I told her that if I couldn't make it she should just go and she said "no."
I kept waiting and waiting. I checked with our friend a couple times so I knew she was close (although I found out she hit traffic and literally sat for 5 minutes in rush hour). As she was almost there I checked with the check in people. In hind sight, they said that the plane had been cleared to taxi....but I thought they said it had already begun to taxi.
My friend got there, I grabbed my wallet (having already said a HUGE thank you on the phone) and I ran. I ran to security and saw a long line. So, assuming they had already closed the doors I started walking back to the check in people to ask them to call the gate to see if my wife and children were there. As I was walking back, A number called Pam's cell so I answered it.
Pam: By the time the girls and I had gotten through security, it was the time the tickets said they were going to be closing the plane doors. Our gate was a longish hallway away and we walked as fast as we could and I could see a lady watching for us. We got there and they said "Maxwells?" and I said yes, but my husband was still coming. They told me that he was too late and that we needed to get on the plane and go without him or not go. I frantically said "But he has my phone! I can't even call him to ask what to do!!!" They said they couldn't help that and we either needed to get on the plane because they were already 2 minutes late, or not go. I said again that I couldn't even call him because he had my phone and I couldn't make this decision without him. I must have looked like a crazy, panicked person. Then I saw a lady who was sitting in the area quickly opening her phone and handing it to me. I quickly called Nathan and told him what was going on and where he was. While I was talking to him, another lady from the airline came and asked what was going on and I told her. She asked where he was and if he was almost through security. Nathan said that he was at the back and I asked if he could jump ahead. And then he hung up on me!!!!
After I hung up with her, I explained to the security man that they were getting ready to close the door and that my wife and daughter had already gone through. I asked what we could do and he calmly said, "The best thing you can do is explain that to some of these nice folks and see if they'll let you jump in line." :o) What a great guy!!!
So, I did just that. I asked the first person in line, with the same explanation, and he graciously let me jump in. Then, as I was waiting in the front of that line, my wife called again.
Pam: The nice airline lady said that they couldn't keep holding the plane and that if he was through security, maybe!!!, but if not the plane needed to go. I quickly called Nathan back again and it sounded like he was getting through security quickly and I told the lady that it sounded like he just got through. She paused and then I saw a look on her face that told me she was doing something she knew she wasn't supposed to and said "Get on the plane and we'll wait for him. He will get on the plane." I hugged her and ran towards the entrance where I forgot to give the ladies our tickets, so they pulled me back and then told me to go. I went, they hollered for me to stop again because they said we didn't have seat assignments (which there were seat assignments on the tickets so I don't know what they were talking about) and then they told us to go again. When we got on the plane, the stewardesses were confused because they had been told no more passengers were getting on and our seats had been filled with other passengers wanting to spread out. The stewardesses were super nice about it and got the seats emptied for us, Nathan came up behind us, we sat down, and within minutes the plane was moving.
As I hung up with her, I did the same thing with the group with their things to go through and get scanned. The guy not only let me go, he also helped with "shoes off, belts off" and things I hadn't heard yet because I'd been rushing. So, I got through that line and I ran, full-out, from security to the last gate of the terminal. Now, I know the Des Moines International Airport is no large airport, but it was still a long run for me....since my family was at the other end.
As I came up to the game there were three scowling women and one of them said, "Are you the one we are waiting for?" and I said, "YES!!"
I was ushered onto the plane and I kept apologizing to people who wouldn't acknowledge that I was talking. I got on the plane and all eyes looked up. I got at least one joke about having my identification on me! :o) (In fact, I got another one as the plane was down too!)
As I walked to the seat and they were moving people to clear out our seats (I don't know what that was all about) I realized something.....we were THOSE people!! The ones making the plane late and the ones bringing an 18 month old onto a plane.
Here is the irony: everything that we prepared ourselves to go wrong (Layla screaming, Maya K terrified, etc.) didn't happen and all the things we didn't even consider....DID go wrong.
Yet, through it all, we are here. Layla did incredible on the plane and so did Maya K. I got about 6-7 hours of sleep last night and the girls did even better. Pam didn't sleep well, but we know the problem and it will be fixed tonight.
We are truly praising our Savior. Many people may read this and think, "What a great number of coincidences that worked in your favor to get you there." Well, I say, our Savior and God knew the break we needed and, through circumstances that required we be calm and remember to be dependent on Him, we were able to get here safely. Oh man, what a Drama Day!!
To God be the glory!!!!
We woke up February 12th planning to go to Arizona that night. Not at all understanding that the day was already set against us.
The first sign of the day was shortly after Layla had had a little milk and part of a banana and she threw it all up on the floor. The weird thing was that she didn't have a fever and she was not acting lethargic at all. So, when she asked for some crackers a little bit later we gave her three...which she threw up within 20 minutes. (I had set a timer for 20 minutes so we can just kind of see how she was doing and she threw up just before it went off.)
Again, no fever and no lethargy. So we made the call to keep going with the day knowing that it might now happen. At one point Maya K asked how we would know if we were going to go or not and I told her that Layla had to be able to keep some food down.
Next, we realized we only had 1 suitcase large enough and it had a zipper that is starting to give out. Yes! We know we should have known that sooner. So, we made some contacts and God graciously workout out with a friend to go to their house, use their garage pad and go get suitcases even while they were gone. What a huge blessing!!
We continued through the day feeling stressed and anxious about whether or not we were going to go. Layla was seeming lethargic by lunch time, but she had kept food down for over an hour by that point...but she had lost her appetite. So, we knew we wouldn't really know until she got up from her nap....but we needed to be 98% ready to go by then. So, we kept plugging away.
Layla took a 2.25 hour nap and woke up her perfectly normal self....we were a go!!!!
Our friend, who was going to take us to the airport, arrived just as we realized we didn't have a government-issued form of ID for Layla. We were looking for her birth certificate (which we never did find and will be looking for when we get home). We went through a LOT of places to find it and found nothing. I finally asked if Pam knew where her social security card (SSC) was as that should work too. Finally, Pam did find that and we loaded up to go. We only left 15 minutes late, but 40% more stressed!
About half way to the airport Pam panicked that the SSC would not be enough as there is no birth date on it. After going back and forth with a little on that one, I called the American Airlines Customer Service number on our itinerary. It said there was a 16 minute hold time.....needless to say, we pulled into the airport at 19 minutes and I just hung up by that point.
In the middle there, we stopped at McDonald's to get some drive-thru food for an early dinner for the girls. Pam's credit card was in her backpack (in the back of the van) so I grabbed my wallet and pulled mine out. Because I was distracted on the phone, I then set my wallet down in the cup holder.
We got our food, went to the airport and got out. We thanked our friend some more and then went inside. It took me about 2 minutes to feel my pocket, realize my wallet wasn't there, and then to remember that it was in the van. Part way through this fiasco my cell phone died so all of this was happening with Pam's cell phone too.
So, I immediately called our friend's cell phone....and got no answer. I waited about 5 minutes and called again. To say the least, I called 6 more times over the next 12 minutes!! Our friend's roommate finally answered to say she had left her phone at home. Whoops.
Panic was setting in at this time. American Airlines had let us "check in" (minus my ID) and had taken our two bags and checked them in....so our stuff was going to Arizona whether we did or not. I was pacing and panicking. Pam grabbed my hand, pulled my face to hers, and just prayed with me. What a great moment and reminder from my wife of how I was trying to fix things and I wasn't praying for peace of provision at all. After a couple minutes of realizing I was pacing and frustrated again, I stopped and prayed. I told God that this whole thing had to be in His hands because I could not take care of it. I finished praying and within 20 seconds Pam came over and said, "Should we call Debbi?"
I didn't understand why at first, but her idea was to see if her sister could go to our house to catch our friend and get my wallet to me. I thought, "Thank you God for giving her such a great idea."
So, we called and she was at the store, but she called her husband, who loaded up the boys and went over to catch her. I haven't been able to work out if they got there as she was getting there or leaving, but either way they were able to catch her. We didn't know this yet, but God worked that timing out as well.
So, I was waiting to hear from my brother-in-law to see if they'd caught her or not. I finally called his cell phone and our friend answered. She said they had caught her and she was headed to us...but she was supposed to have been meeting her sister shortly and wasn't going to be able to. So, while she headed toward us at a pace that the police might have been interested to know about, I called her cell phone so that her roommate would answer and I could tell her to tell her sister (who was waiting there) that our friend was not going to be on time....holy cow!!!
As time progressed we realized how close we were going to be cutting it. We finally decided to send Pam and the girls through so that their security stuff would be done. I told her that if I couldn't make it she should just go and she said "no."
I kept waiting and waiting. I checked with our friend a couple times so I knew she was close (although I found out she hit traffic and literally sat for 5 minutes in rush hour). As she was almost there I checked with the check in people. In hind sight, they said that the plane had been cleared to taxi....but I thought they said it had already begun to taxi.
My friend got there, I grabbed my wallet (having already said a HUGE thank you on the phone) and I ran. I ran to security and saw a long line. So, assuming they had already closed the doors I started walking back to the check in people to ask them to call the gate to see if my wife and children were there. As I was walking back, A number called Pam's cell so I answered it.
Pam: By the time the girls and I had gotten through security, it was the time the tickets said they were going to be closing the plane doors. Our gate was a longish hallway away and we walked as fast as we could and I could see a lady watching for us. We got there and they said "Maxwells?" and I said yes, but my husband was still coming. They told me that he was too late and that we needed to get on the plane and go without him or not go. I frantically said "But he has my phone! I can't even call him to ask what to do!!!" They said they couldn't help that and we either needed to get on the plane because they were already 2 minutes late, or not go. I said again that I couldn't even call him because he had my phone and I couldn't make this decision without him. I must have looked like a crazy, panicked person. Then I saw a lady who was sitting in the area quickly opening her phone and handing it to me. I quickly called Nathan and told him what was going on and where he was. While I was talking to him, another lady from the airline came and asked what was going on and I told her. She asked where he was and if he was almost through security. Nathan said that he was at the back and I asked if he could jump ahead. And then he hung up on me!!!!
After I hung up with her, I explained to the security man that they were getting ready to close the door and that my wife and daughter had already gone through. I asked what we could do and he calmly said, "The best thing you can do is explain that to some of these nice folks and see if they'll let you jump in line." :o) What a great guy!!!
So, I did just that. I asked the first person in line, with the same explanation, and he graciously let me jump in. Then, as I was waiting in the front of that line, my wife called again.
Pam: The nice airline lady said that they couldn't keep holding the plane and that if he was through security, maybe!!!, but if not the plane needed to go. I quickly called Nathan back again and it sounded like he was getting through security quickly and I told the lady that it sounded like he just got through. She paused and then I saw a look on her face that told me she was doing something she knew she wasn't supposed to and said "Get on the plane and we'll wait for him. He will get on the plane." I hugged her and ran towards the entrance where I forgot to give the ladies our tickets, so they pulled me back and then told me to go. I went, they hollered for me to stop again because they said we didn't have seat assignments (which there were seat assignments on the tickets so I don't know what they were talking about) and then they told us to go again. When we got on the plane, the stewardesses were confused because they had been told no more passengers were getting on and our seats had been filled with other passengers wanting to spread out. The stewardesses were super nice about it and got the seats emptied for us, Nathan came up behind us, we sat down, and within minutes the plane was moving.
As I hung up with her, I did the same thing with the group with their things to go through and get scanned. The guy not only let me go, he also helped with "shoes off, belts off" and things I hadn't heard yet because I'd been rushing. So, I got through that line and I ran, full-out, from security to the last gate of the terminal. Now, I know the Des Moines International Airport is no large airport, but it was still a long run for me....since my family was at the other end.
As I came up to the game there were three scowling women and one of them said, "Are you the one we are waiting for?" and I said, "YES!!"
I was ushered onto the plane and I kept apologizing to people who wouldn't acknowledge that I was talking. I got on the plane and all eyes looked up. I got at least one joke about having my identification on me! :o) (In fact, I got another one as the plane was down too!)
As I walked to the seat and they were moving people to clear out our seats (I don't know what that was all about) I realized something.....we were THOSE people!! The ones making the plane late and the ones bringing an 18 month old onto a plane.
Here is the irony: everything that we prepared ourselves to go wrong (Layla screaming, Maya K terrified, etc.) didn't happen and all the things we didn't even consider....DID go wrong.
Yet, through it all, we are here. Layla did incredible on the plane and so did Maya K. I got about 6-7 hours of sleep last night and the girls did even better. Pam didn't sleep well, but we know the problem and it will be fixed tonight.
We are truly praising our Savior. Many people may read this and think, "What a great number of coincidences that worked in your favor to get you there." Well, I say, our Savior and God knew the break we needed and, through circumstances that required we be calm and remember to be dependent on Him, we were able to get here safely. Oh man, what a Drama Day!!
To God be the glory!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment