Saturday, January 9, 2016

God: I don't understand you!!

I've been listening to A. W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy. It has been really good...but really hard too. One of the things he has been focusing on is the fact that God is infinite. By being infinite, by its very definition, we can't really know everything about God.

Sure, we have things about God that we know because it has been revealed to us in the Bible. So, God is love. God is holy. God is just.

And as big as those things really are, they don't even come close to explaining everything about God. One thing he said is that God is both everywhere and no where at the same time....because being somewhere is a matter of time and space and God is outside both of those things. *brain exploded*

Wow. Outside of time and space? That's incredible.

...and again, this doesn't come close to helping us to fully understand who God is.

So what? I mean, God is an uncreated being. We are created beings. So, that is the thing that has been created expecting to fully understand the one who created it....which is ludicrous.

BUT I WANT TO!!!! ....I know, I'm a toddler throwing a tantrum.

But, it's more than that. I mean, yes, we are created being so we shouldn't fully understand the god who created us. We are also children who have been adopted by a heavenly father. We, as part of the church, are the bride of Christ. We love Him because he first love us. Right??

So, is it wrong to want to know more about this person/being??

I don't think it's wrong to want to know more. However, as I've been struggling with this today and typing tonight I've come to a realization. There is know way that I actually know everything about God that has been revealed. Would you agree for yourself?

One example: God is love. OK, that's great. Now I know that as a loving father, love sometimes means discipline, pain, or doing something that my child doesn't understand because I know it is what is best for them...whether they want it or not.

Another: God is just. OK, so, true justice is making sure that laws are upheld and is not just letting anyone get away with anything they want, right?

My point is that these are NOT the only things about God being love or justice. There must be more aspects about God's love hidden just in those two things and there are so many more things about who/what God is that have been revealed to us.

I may wish there were certain things about God that I could understand better, but there are simply things we are never going to understand (election, salvation, why me?, why not him/her?, what about that, what about this). However, there are enough things that we could understand that we have not taken enough time to try to yet that we can't really complain! :o)


May we go back to being in awe of nature...and then remember that nothing is created that is better than its creator! :o) think about that the next time you study ants, the stars, DNA, gravity, or seasons!


To God be the glory!!

1 comment: