Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Psalms: Psalm 14 - taking God for granted

Psalm 14 is an interesting Psalm. There are a couple more popular verses.

Like, verse 1 which is, "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"

Another is verse 3 which rings in the New Testament. This is, "They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one."

However, the verse that stood out to me this time was verse 4. The last part of the verse is, "...all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread and do not call upon the Lord?"

Now, I'm not researching context and I'm not looking up the Hebrew. So, this is just a thought I had when I read this. Specifically, "as they eat bread and do not call upon the Lord" and I thought...what's wrong with that? I mean, is it wrong to not call on God when we eat bread?

...actually. Yeah. Specifically for Christians who are held accountable for what we know. So, we know that God loves us, we know that He sent His Son to die for us, and we know that He takes care of us (Matt 6:25-34). So, knowing these things, when we eat "our daily bread" (that is to say, when our basic needs are met) we still should be calling on the Lord. In thanks. In worship. In praise.

I mean, why not? Depending on your habits, you might thank God for the food before most meals. You might even pray with your kids before bed at night. But, do you consciously thank God for the clothes you have to wear and shoes to put on each day? Do you thank him that you woke up warm and dry because you were in a building that kept you from the elements? I mean, why do we take those things for granted? there are people in our area who don't sleep inside every night. Do know where tomorrow's meal might come from. Who aren't sure what they'll wear if what they are wearing gets ruined.

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas, take a minute when you read this and just thank God for the simple things that we take for granted....but we really shouldn't!!

To God be the glory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment