Ok, I know that I'm weird. One way I'm weird is that I LOVE listening to music sung in other languages. I love deciding if I like the sound of the music and the sound of the persons voice regardless of what they are saying. Do they sound on-key? Does the music flow? Do they flow together? It's just easier to hear some of that when you don't even understand the words.
I've listened to Mandarin and Taiwanese and really enjoy them.
A friend is helping me work on German once a month right now so I have been listening to German music. My teacher pointed me to Christian music in German months ago and I've listened to tons.
Once I'm done deciding if I like the sound of the music and the person singing, I start getting curious about the words. In truth, I don't do too much. To try to translate songs into another language is an absolute pain. You don't have the nuance and culture that goes into the words. You can't just literally translate. even the websites I've found have often been really rough. So I don't normally do much more than the title itself.
Today I was listening to a song and I wanted to know what it was saying. The phrase was "Du bist mein Ziel." All that really matters is that the first three words mean "you are my..." and the last word, if I understand correctly is roughly "aim" - as in, goal or target.
And I found myself challenged by one simple line in a song that I really liked and I don't understand 99% of it.
When we are heading on vacation we spend weeks prepping. We start get things in order. Who will take care of the pets? Who will get the mail? how are we traveling (plane, car, etc.)? Who is going (take the kids or don't)? ---- So many details and we focus on them.
Moving is even more extreme. We are going from living in one place to living in another. So we have a goal and a target for where to end up. We then focus a LOT of our time on getting things in order to make that happen.
Yet. I call myself a Christian. My goal is to be like Christ. The ultimate goal of my life is to glorify God. I want to love others as Jesus loves me. I want to care for orphans and widows. I want to share the amazing good news of Christ and what He has done for me. So, if those are my goals and aims in this life...what am I doing about it? Does my life reflect that these are my goals? Goals aren't things that you ignore and hope to get to eventually. They are things you strive for and make sacrifice to achieve.
If God and His glory is my ultimate aim then what am I doing today to move towards that goal?
To God be the glory!!
I've listened to Mandarin and Taiwanese and really enjoy them.
A friend is helping me work on German once a month right now so I have been listening to German music. My teacher pointed me to Christian music in German months ago and I've listened to tons.
Once I'm done deciding if I like the sound of the music and the person singing, I start getting curious about the words. In truth, I don't do too much. To try to translate songs into another language is an absolute pain. You don't have the nuance and culture that goes into the words. You can't just literally translate. even the websites I've found have often been really rough. So I don't normally do much more than the title itself.
Today I was listening to a song and I wanted to know what it was saying. The phrase was "Du bist mein Ziel." All that really matters is that the first three words mean "you are my..." and the last word, if I understand correctly is roughly "aim" - as in, goal or target.
And I found myself challenged by one simple line in a song that I really liked and I don't understand 99% of it.
When we are heading on vacation we spend weeks prepping. We start get things in order. Who will take care of the pets? Who will get the mail? how are we traveling (plane, car, etc.)? Who is going (take the kids or don't)? ---- So many details and we focus on them.
Moving is even more extreme. We are going from living in one place to living in another. So we have a goal and a target for where to end up. We then focus a LOT of our time on getting things in order to make that happen.
Yet. I call myself a Christian. My goal is to be like Christ. The ultimate goal of my life is to glorify God. I want to love others as Jesus loves me. I want to care for orphans and widows. I want to share the amazing good news of Christ and what He has done for me. So, if those are my goals and aims in this life...what am I doing about it? Does my life reflect that these are my goals? Goals aren't things that you ignore and hope to get to eventually. They are things you strive for and make sacrifice to achieve.
If God and His glory is my ultimate aim then what am I doing today to move towards that goal?
To God be the glory!!
No comments:
Post a Comment