I've been thinking about this quite a bit this weekend. I watched a movie, I had a phone conversation, and I've just been thinking.
As Christians, do we have an obligation to be positive people? Do exercise the power of positive thinking? Or should be we realists who are talking about brimstone, fire, and eternal damnation?
I won't get into all of that, but I think that the balanced answer is to remember that all of realistic things can have a positive note.
Example: God is a God who judges, is just, and is loving. AMEN!! So, that means He'll judge me for my sin, right? What's so positive about that? EVERYTHING!!! Sorry.... What's great about a just God is that while He cares about our sin, we have an opportunity to accept the redemptive work of Christ in our lives and that same justice that seems so harsh will now work in our favor. God's justice sees the death of Christ as full payment for my sins and notes that the debt for sin is paid in full. So, it can seem depressing at first, but there is a HUGE, positive side to it as well.
The world seems to be falling apart, as does our modern American culture. What's so positive about that?? As a Christian, I know that this world is not my home and I'm just passing through!! How great is that?
But, people die. People who are family, who are such close friends that they are a second family, and people who I don't know well, but it still affects my life! Yes, that is true. However, that should motivate you to share the love of Jesus with the people you know because, this world is then not their home either!
OK, the power of positive thinking. I've at times scoffed at this. I've thought that this was for people who just want to accept everything and everyone as OK and who don't have a backbone. Not true!
Philippians 4:4-8 tells us to always rejoice; not to be anxious about things; and to think about things that are true, just, lovely, honorable, pure, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise!
If there is a different recipe for positive thinking and positive attitudes, I don't know what it is. Which suggests to me, looking at this verse as well as my previous thoughts: Christians ought to be the most positive people in the world today. We have hope for the future, a God who listens to us today, and hope and love to share with others. Why in the world can we be so depressed and down?? Why are Christians saying, "Oh man. it's Monday again which means it'll be a terrible day!" Why?? Why are the children of the living God forced to have a bad day 14% of the time??
I know this life isn't going to be sunshine and roses for us. I know we will have heart ache and, per the Bible, if we are doing things right the world is going to hate and despise us. Why, however, would this life be our focus? Why would this life be what drives us and drives our positive or negative thinking?
Rant over!
God loves us. God wants us to share that love. If you struggle with this, then go to God in prayer. We ought to be so positive that the world looks at us and says, "What in the world makes them so positive?"
To God be the glory!
As Christians, do we have an obligation to be positive people? Do exercise the power of positive thinking? Or should be we realists who are talking about brimstone, fire, and eternal damnation?
I won't get into all of that, but I think that the balanced answer is to remember that all of realistic things can have a positive note.
Example: God is a God who judges, is just, and is loving. AMEN!! So, that means He'll judge me for my sin, right? What's so positive about that? EVERYTHING!!! Sorry.... What's great about a just God is that while He cares about our sin, we have an opportunity to accept the redemptive work of Christ in our lives and that same justice that seems so harsh will now work in our favor. God's justice sees the death of Christ as full payment for my sins and notes that the debt for sin is paid in full. So, it can seem depressing at first, but there is a HUGE, positive side to it as well.
The world seems to be falling apart, as does our modern American culture. What's so positive about that?? As a Christian, I know that this world is not my home and I'm just passing through!! How great is that?
But, people die. People who are family, who are such close friends that they are a second family, and people who I don't know well, but it still affects my life! Yes, that is true. However, that should motivate you to share the love of Jesus with the people you know because, this world is then not their home either!
OK, the power of positive thinking. I've at times scoffed at this. I've thought that this was for people who just want to accept everything and everyone as OK and who don't have a backbone. Not true!
Philippians 4:4-8 tells us to always rejoice; not to be anxious about things; and to think about things that are true, just, lovely, honorable, pure, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise!
If there is a different recipe for positive thinking and positive attitudes, I don't know what it is. Which suggests to me, looking at this verse as well as my previous thoughts: Christians ought to be the most positive people in the world today. We have hope for the future, a God who listens to us today, and hope and love to share with others. Why in the world can we be so depressed and down?? Why are Christians saying, "Oh man. it's Monday again which means it'll be a terrible day!" Why?? Why are the children of the living God forced to have a bad day 14% of the time??
I know this life isn't going to be sunshine and roses for us. I know we will have heart ache and, per the Bible, if we are doing things right the world is going to hate and despise us. Why, however, would this life be our focus? Why would this life be what drives us and drives our positive or negative thinking?
Rant over!
God loves us. God wants us to share that love. If you struggle with this, then go to God in prayer. We ought to be so positive that the world looks at us and says, "What in the world makes them so positive?"
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment