Yesterday I became aware of a news article that was going crazy on Facebook. I've linked it here. It is the story of an African-American who was pulled over by Tucson police while he was carrying a concealed weapon. His point was this by showing respect to the officers, he was shown respect as well and there was never any threat to anyone's safety.
Remember that SC, Caucasian police officer that just got fired for violently handling an African-American teen in the classroom? Remember all the people who were so upset because a 15 second video showed this ape-like officer assaulting an innocent teenage girl? (Yes, my sarcasm is there.) There are now articles and other-angled videos that show that she struck the officer, that this was the third authority figure she had ignored and disrespected, and that most likely the force of his "throw" came from her fighting him as he tried to get her out of the chair. I'm not saying anything else. I was not there. I do however despise those who (including me at first) are judging authority figures based solely on social media. Videos don't show everything folks! *end of rant*
This got me thinking. Who is teaching our kids about respect? I don't me, "You better respect me young man (or young lady) because I'm your father." No, no, no. Those are words and not what I'm talking about. If we haven't figured out the emptiness or words without actions - then we have another problem altogether. Suffice it to say, if your words aren't reflected out in your life and actions, then your words mean nothing. If they ARE reflected out in your life and actions, then they are a great support to those actions, but nothing more.
When you are talking in front of your children about the President of the United States. Is it something like this: "That man is President because he was voted in. No, I don't agree with him on nearly anything he does. However, since I still believe in his office, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure no one like him takes that office again. Until his term is over, though, I will respect him because he is the president"? Or is it more like: "That idiot. I can't believe he passed that law. What an Islamic, America-hating, Socialist fool of a President we have"? (Side note: I don't care in the least what you think about any of those descriptive nouns. That is not the argument here.)
How about when you get pulled over by an officer. Is it "man. I shouldn't have been speeding. This is my fault and my responsibility" or is it "that stupid cop. Why in the world is he pulling me over. He must be a terrible cop. He should be catching murderers or something. He must have something better to do than to pull me over for going over the speed limit"?
Teachers in the classroom. When you kid has problems at school, do you assume it is the teachers fault or your child's?? (Hint: you shouldn't assume either. You should figure out what's going on and then help resolve all the while holding your child and their teacher both accountable for their actions.)
How about your boss/bosses at work? You don't have to like them, you don't even have to agree with them, but do you show your children (and them) that you respect them because they are in authority over you?
By the way, if you've read any of these paragraphs and you've scoffed on the inside, then I believe you have proved my point. If you think respect for this person or that person (who is in authority over you) is ridiculous or not worth it, then I guarantee you that your children know that already and have seen it. They already know that respect for authority is not all-inclusive and that there are times when you can disagree and by disagreeing you can disrespect! You have already added the seed of disrespect that could turn to violence if the wrong people start influencing your kids.
This battle is SO much harder for families where both parents are working or for a single parent working multiple jobs. Why? Well, the families that has a parent staying home with their kids has a role-model in their lives a lot more often. The families who have both parents working see their kids for less than half of their waking hours. Teachers, day-care providers, etc. are the ones putting the most influence into your kids. Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it isn't. Either way it makes your job harder because you have less time to live the example your kids need to see lived out in you. It isn't impossible, it just means you have to be intentional about living 100% of your life remembering that you are an example to your children. The single parent has it even worse. Two jobs and there is no one-parent-drops-off-and-the-other-picks-up option. He/She is the only parent so if he/she is working, then someone else is teaching his/her children about life by living it in front of them. (This is not an indictment. I respect the single parents who give their lives to their children so that they can provide for them. They are heroes! They teach us much including a hard work ethic and the value of family. ...so thank you to all the single parents who have NOT given up on their children!!)
Before we start to question the youth of America and their violence toward authority, why don't we first look inward and start asking ourselves if we are showing them respect for authority...always. Then, if you think you have a handle on that, how about respect for life? That'll be my next post so stay tuned. It may not cover what you think it will.
To God be the glory!
Remember that SC, Caucasian police officer that just got fired for violently handling an African-American teen in the classroom? Remember all the people who were so upset because a 15 second video showed this ape-like officer assaulting an innocent teenage girl? (Yes, my sarcasm is there.) There are now articles and other-angled videos that show that she struck the officer, that this was the third authority figure she had ignored and disrespected, and that most likely the force of his "throw" came from her fighting him as he tried to get her out of the chair. I'm not saying anything else. I was not there. I do however despise those who (including me at first) are judging authority figures based solely on social media. Videos don't show everything folks! *end of rant*
This got me thinking. Who is teaching our kids about respect? I don't me, "You better respect me young man (or young lady) because I'm your father." No, no, no. Those are words and not what I'm talking about. If we haven't figured out the emptiness or words without actions - then we have another problem altogether. Suffice it to say, if your words aren't reflected out in your life and actions, then your words mean nothing. If they ARE reflected out in your life and actions, then they are a great support to those actions, but nothing more.
When you are talking in front of your children about the President of the United States. Is it something like this: "That man is President because he was voted in. No, I don't agree with him on nearly anything he does. However, since I still believe in his office, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure no one like him takes that office again. Until his term is over, though, I will respect him because he is the president"? Or is it more like: "That idiot. I can't believe he passed that law. What an Islamic, America-hating, Socialist fool of a President we have"? (Side note: I don't care in the least what you think about any of those descriptive nouns. That is not the argument here.)
How about when you get pulled over by an officer. Is it "man. I shouldn't have been speeding. This is my fault and my responsibility" or is it "that stupid cop. Why in the world is he pulling me over. He must be a terrible cop. He should be catching murderers or something. He must have something better to do than to pull me over for going over the speed limit"?
Teachers in the classroom. When you kid has problems at school, do you assume it is the teachers fault or your child's?? (Hint: you shouldn't assume either. You should figure out what's going on and then help resolve all the while holding your child and their teacher both accountable for their actions.)
How about your boss/bosses at work? You don't have to like them, you don't even have to agree with them, but do you show your children (and them) that you respect them because they are in authority over you?
By the way, if you've read any of these paragraphs and you've scoffed on the inside, then I believe you have proved my point. If you think respect for this person or that person (who is in authority over you) is ridiculous or not worth it, then I guarantee you that your children know that already and have seen it. They already know that respect for authority is not all-inclusive and that there are times when you can disagree and by disagreeing you can disrespect! You have already added the seed of disrespect that could turn to violence if the wrong people start influencing your kids.
This battle is SO much harder for families where both parents are working or for a single parent working multiple jobs. Why? Well, the families that has a parent staying home with their kids has a role-model in their lives a lot more often. The families who have both parents working see their kids for less than half of their waking hours. Teachers, day-care providers, etc. are the ones putting the most influence into your kids. Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it isn't. Either way it makes your job harder because you have less time to live the example your kids need to see lived out in you. It isn't impossible, it just means you have to be intentional about living 100% of your life remembering that you are an example to your children. The single parent has it even worse. Two jobs and there is no one-parent-drops-off-and-the-other-picks-up option. He/She is the only parent so if he/she is working, then someone else is teaching his/her children about life by living it in front of them. (This is not an indictment. I respect the single parents who give their lives to their children so that they can provide for them. They are heroes! They teach us much including a hard work ethic and the value of family. ...so thank you to all the single parents who have NOT given up on their children!!)
Before we start to question the youth of America and their violence toward authority, why don't we first look inward and start asking ourselves if we are showing them respect for authority...always. Then, if you think you have a handle on that, how about respect for life? That'll be my next post so stay tuned. It may not cover what you think it will.
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment