Monday, September 21, 2015

The Psalms: Psalm 10 - Where are you God??

In our S. S. class we've been talking about some of the minor prophets. We have spent the last couple weeks talking about Habakkuk. He also asks God, "Where are you?"

One thing we've been pointing out is that it is NOT sin to question God and our circumstances. It is wrong to blame God as though He does not know what is best for us because then we make ourselves to be God. However, to not understand and voice that to our heavenly Father only makes sense. Think about it. He already knows your questions. It's just you trying to hide the truth from Him. So, honesty with our God!

Psalm 10 is doing a very similar thing. Here we start in verse 1 with the question of "where are you?" Then verses 2-11 explain why the author has this question. He describes the actions and attitudes of the ungodly and how they are doing evil.

Verses 12-18 are back to talking to God. There are requests of God (lift up your hand) but also promises claimed. Such as, "you have been the helper of the fatherless," "The Lord is king forever," and "...you will incline your ear."

Praise God for truth. The world is an ugly place. Sin has caused the whole creation to fall. Not to mention the depravity of man. So there is a lot that happens that could cause a person wonder where God is. Abortion, the violation of religious freedom in the name of "don't be a bigot."

Bigotry: "having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others."

...which would be fine if it wasn't in the Bible.

So, we are marked as bigots and we see evil all around us. So, where is God?

I am extremely encouraged in these moments to remember that God's ways are not our ways and God's thoughts are not our thoughts. Example, I have been alive since 1983. Those who have been alive since the 50s and 60s have a different perspective on life. They view current events differently than I do. Now, imagine if someone born in 1900 was around today to give THEIR perspective. How would they view the taking of the Crimea having lived through both WWI and WWII??

Now, take a God who is outside of time. Who was at the beginning and the end at the same "time" and who also knows everything. He knows the end of time (if there is one) and He knows everything that will happen between now and then. He understands the ripple effects of our lives. A disaster in my life may be something that ripples out and doesn't show effects for 4-5 generations. A life without disaster could have similar effects.

Sometimes we see and understand. Pam and I have not been able to have biological children but I look at Maya K and Layla and I don't wonder. God had a plan that I did not understand until later. Yet, we don't always understand in this life. Sometimes things just seem like disaster, seem unfair, and seem cruel. I can't explain the Holocaust, the rampant use of abortion in this country, etc. Yet, I trust that God has a plan that I don't understand.

Trust is not apathy. If anything, it is the opposite. I trust God has a plan and yet I see evil. Therefore, as a Christian, I have a responsibility to act in a way that is in line with God's plans as revealed to us. So, do I have a responsibility to vote for those who will work to end the murder of babies? Yes I do.

Imagine this. How short would the book of Daniel be if Daniel had not disobeyed a law that demanded that he disobey his God???

Your neighbors, company, and nation did not die for your sins. Christ did that. We have a higher allegiance. This does not give us license to abuse our neighbors, company, or nation. I am still a very patriotic person, but my patriotism is limited to a point when my nation demands that I disobey a clear law of God.


To God be the glory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment