Wow. It is strange the ways that God works in our lives.Early this year I started having some pain in my throat that I hadn't had in years. It turned into sharp pain that kept me from being able to talk that led to coughing up blood. In the end I had a node on my vocal chord that was surgically removed in May.
Do I know that God was trying to get my attention about my control issues? Yes. Did he? Yes. Did it stick? No.
So, as a parent, when a child doesn't learn their lesson from one form of discipline, what do you do? Example, if they can't learn math one way, do you keep drilling them on it or do you find a different angle to explain it? (Discipline is both growth and development and for correction....not just correction.)
So, we have another incident in the same year. I have a ton of pain in my right foot that is keeping me from running and, in the right/wrong situations, causing me a lot of pain. A couple doctors visits later I'm given the choice of a cortizone shot (and come back every 3-6 months to do it again or to choose the next option) or surgery. The doctor does the "encouragement" speech where he tells me I'll be able to bear full weight on it no problem, I'll just have a small boot, and I'll have a perfectly normal foot within 6 months. Then, as a side note he mentions that since it is my right foot I will not be able to drive for 2 weeks.
I'm sorry. What did you just say? It sounds like you said I couldn't drive.....oh....you did.....fail!
There were a number of reasons why, but the surgery happened less than a week from that appointment. So, my two weeks are done today. I wish I could tell you that it was easy OR that I'm grateful that it's done....but neither is the full truth. See, I had started saying things like, "I knew I was a control freak, but I didn't know how much of one I was." However, that wasn't enough. It took one of our young adults in S. S. mentioning some things and saying them in a certain way for all the pieces to click. I am so much of a control freak that I don't want to give God any more control than I have to and I want to keep as much as I can.
So I asked myself, "how does that fit within a life style of walking with God?" The answer is that it doesn't. I can't be who God wants me to be if I am always fighting for control.
This is part one of a series I'm planning to do. The future parts are going to look at different verses to support my argument that I can't live a control-freak lifestyle and live for god the way he intends me to. Scripture doesn't leave room for it. Then I'll plan to cap off with a "what now" post. Just because something is true does not make living it easy!
Do I know that God was trying to get my attention about my control issues? Yes. Did he? Yes. Did it stick? No.
So, as a parent, when a child doesn't learn their lesson from one form of discipline, what do you do? Example, if they can't learn math one way, do you keep drilling them on it or do you find a different angle to explain it? (Discipline is both growth and development and for correction....not just correction.)
So, we have another incident in the same year. I have a ton of pain in my right foot that is keeping me from running and, in the right/wrong situations, causing me a lot of pain. A couple doctors visits later I'm given the choice of a cortizone shot (and come back every 3-6 months to do it again or to choose the next option) or surgery. The doctor does the "encouragement" speech where he tells me I'll be able to bear full weight on it no problem, I'll just have a small boot, and I'll have a perfectly normal foot within 6 months. Then, as a side note he mentions that since it is my right foot I will not be able to drive for 2 weeks.
I'm sorry. What did you just say? It sounds like you said I couldn't drive.....oh....you did.....fail!
There were a number of reasons why, but the surgery happened less than a week from that appointment. So, my two weeks are done today. I wish I could tell you that it was easy OR that I'm grateful that it's done....but neither is the full truth. See, I had started saying things like, "I knew I was a control freak, but I didn't know how much of one I was." However, that wasn't enough. It took one of our young adults in S. S. mentioning some things and saying them in a certain way for all the pieces to click. I am so much of a control freak that I don't want to give God any more control than I have to and I want to keep as much as I can.
So I asked myself, "how does that fit within a life style of walking with God?" The answer is that it doesn't. I can't be who God wants me to be if I am always fighting for control.
This is part one of a series I'm planning to do. The future parts are going to look at different verses to support my argument that I can't live a control-freak lifestyle and live for god the way he intends me to. Scripture doesn't leave room for it. Then I'll plan to cap off with a "what now" post. Just because something is true does not make living it easy!
No comments:
Post a Comment