I was listening in for a minute on Wednesday night and I heard a leader ask, "what is love?" I heard some of the answers. Things like "More than like" and "Being nice to someone."
Then, I remember thinking, "Love is wanting what is best for someone so much that you would be willing to allow yourself to be hurt, in other ways harmed, or even killed if it was necessary." I got a stirring in my chest that I don't always feel but more and more do when I think about the safety of any of my three girls (my daughters and my wife)! It is the certainty that I love them with a fierce love and that I would do whatever was necessary to keep them safe.
This morning I read a short story about a mom whose baby was having seizures and she was taking him to the hospital. She remembers holding his little hands and have a feeling that she described...that was much like what I described above. Then, however, she remembered that the Bible teaches us that God loves us with a greater intensity than that!!
...and my mind exploded. See, I have been preaching the Gospel to my daughter without realizing it. Think about it. "MK, if I didn't love you I wouldn't care about your attitude and I wouldn't discipline you. I would simply let you be and do whatever you wanted. However, because I love you, I can't do that."
Translation: God doesn't let us do whatever we want either. He has to discipline His children because that is what a loving parent does.
I've also said things to my wife like, "I know that will hurt her, but at some point we just have to let her do it so that she can learn on her own. She hasn't been trusting us and if we just force her in this area, then she will never learn how to make those decisions on her own."
Translation: Sometimes God lets us do stupid things with the goal of us learning from them so that we will trust Him more since we already knew better but felt obliged to keep pushing anyway. ...and be honest; like children, sometimes learn that lesson and sometimes we don't.
Then there are the harder things. Death of a loved one either when it was their time or before their time. Loss of friends (from betrayal or from distance). Our world seems to fall apart and we wonder, "why?"
As parents, we tell our children that life just happens sometimes. Hopefully we aren't the ones doing the betraying or having to be a long distance away permanently. If we aren't, then we can remind them that while other things change, our family is still a cohesive unit and there is stability in that. It doesn't take the pain away, but it can ease the fear and help ease the pain with the passing of time.
For God, it is more than that....although it is definitely that. There is no greater rock to go through life with. Matthew 7:24-27 is one of my favorite parables. I mean, look at it. Both people build a house on something. The rains fall, the floods come, and the wind blows and beats on the house. Those are the things that are in common. The difference is what the houses are built on and what happens to the houses. Those who hear the words of Jesus and obey them, will be like the one whose house was built on a rock and when all those things happen, the house is still standing. Why? Because the person built a better house? No. Because he was bailing water or boarding up the windows? No. Because of the foundation they had. It's not about us at all. It's about Jesus. He doesn't leave us, abandon us, or betray us. Some of us have gotten that impression over the years, but that impression doesn't change reality.
OK. Lastly, God has to say something that no human parent can say. Which is, "I have plans my child. However, because I know everything and my plans are greater than just time and matter and space, I have plans for you and I have plans that are more than just you. I have plans that can help you grow, but I have plans that aren't about you at all. I love you! Do you trust me?"
So, we have to remember that God's love for us is greater than any human will ever have. Yet, He has plans that are beyond us. So, we trust Him and remember that fierce love that He has for us...that still blows my mind!! :o)
To God be the glory.
Then, I remember thinking, "Love is wanting what is best for someone so much that you would be willing to allow yourself to be hurt, in other ways harmed, or even killed if it was necessary." I got a stirring in my chest that I don't always feel but more and more do when I think about the safety of any of my three girls (my daughters and my wife)! It is the certainty that I love them with a fierce love and that I would do whatever was necessary to keep them safe.
This morning I read a short story about a mom whose baby was having seizures and she was taking him to the hospital. She remembers holding his little hands and have a feeling that she described...that was much like what I described above. Then, however, she remembered that the Bible teaches us that God loves us with a greater intensity than that!!
...and my mind exploded. See, I have been preaching the Gospel to my daughter without realizing it. Think about it. "MK, if I didn't love you I wouldn't care about your attitude and I wouldn't discipline you. I would simply let you be and do whatever you wanted. However, because I love you, I can't do that."
Translation: God doesn't let us do whatever we want either. He has to discipline His children because that is what a loving parent does.
I've also said things to my wife like, "I know that will hurt her, but at some point we just have to let her do it so that she can learn on her own. She hasn't been trusting us and if we just force her in this area, then she will never learn how to make those decisions on her own."
Translation: Sometimes God lets us do stupid things with the goal of us learning from them so that we will trust Him more since we already knew better but felt obliged to keep pushing anyway. ...and be honest; like children, sometimes learn that lesson and sometimes we don't.
Then there are the harder things. Death of a loved one either when it was their time or before their time. Loss of friends (from betrayal or from distance). Our world seems to fall apart and we wonder, "why?"
As parents, we tell our children that life just happens sometimes. Hopefully we aren't the ones doing the betraying or having to be a long distance away permanently. If we aren't, then we can remind them that while other things change, our family is still a cohesive unit and there is stability in that. It doesn't take the pain away, but it can ease the fear and help ease the pain with the passing of time.
For God, it is more than that....although it is definitely that. There is no greater rock to go through life with. Matthew 7:24-27 is one of my favorite parables. I mean, look at it. Both people build a house on something. The rains fall, the floods come, and the wind blows and beats on the house. Those are the things that are in common. The difference is what the houses are built on and what happens to the houses. Those who hear the words of Jesus and obey them, will be like the one whose house was built on a rock and when all those things happen, the house is still standing. Why? Because the person built a better house? No. Because he was bailing water or boarding up the windows? No. Because of the foundation they had. It's not about us at all. It's about Jesus. He doesn't leave us, abandon us, or betray us. Some of us have gotten that impression over the years, but that impression doesn't change reality.
OK. Lastly, God has to say something that no human parent can say. Which is, "I have plans my child. However, because I know everything and my plans are greater than just time and matter and space, I have plans for you and I have plans that are more than just you. I have plans that can help you grow, but I have plans that aren't about you at all. I love you! Do you trust me?"
So, we have to remember that God's love for us is greater than any human will ever have. Yet, He has plans that are beyond us. So, we trust Him and remember that fierce love that He has for us...that still blows my mind!! :o)
To God be the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment